Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost

Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Audio) - Tavia Gilbert, Jeaniene Frost
Eternal Kiss of Darkness - NHW 2 (NH 4.2)
Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Speed: 1x

Eternal Kiss of Darkness is the second spinoff story within the Night Huntress World. This book centers on Bones’s co-ruler and grandsire, the powerful Mencheres. In a previous book, we learned that Mencheres has lost his ability to see visions of the future, but what we didn’t know until now, is that he does see the endless darkness of death. We also learn that Mencheres has been in a millennia-old feud with a fellow Egyptian vampire, who feels Mencheres received the gifts of power that should have been his. Tired of this feud, and ready to end his life, Mencheres feels the best thing for his people and Bones is to die, so he allows a group of ghouls to kill him. That is until PI Kira Graveling accidentally finds the ghouls beating up on Mencheres and tries to save him. However, once it’s apparent that she’s seen too much and he can’t wipe her mind of the events, Mencheres must take Kira with him until he can figure out how to make her forget what she knows. What he doesn’t count on is feeling something for her - the first woman to effect him in nearly 3,000 years.

Now this is a paranormal romance I can get behind! Right from the start I throughly enjoyed Eternal Kiss of Darkness. Complaints I had about early books in the series are null and void. Kira is a breath of fresh air. She’s smart, independent, kind, spunky, and everything I love about a heroine. Mencheres and Kira are a perfect match; his nobility, and the kindness hidden under his barriers, shines when he’s with her. I love that from the start there is a strong mutual attraction; however, neither will act on it because he's holding her captive. Sharing the story from alternating POVs gives the listener (reader) a richer understanding of the romance and story.

The narration is equally strong. Ms. Gilbert has created individual, unique voices for each character, and I appreciate that she’s maintained them throughout the series, and even when the books are being shared from different POVs. Additionally, Ms. Gilbert excels at inserting non-speaking sounds and conveying strong emotions in her narration.

All-in-all, Eternal Kiss of Darkness is a wonderful paranormal romance, full of drama, but not dramatic. I enjoyed the Egyptian mythology. So far this is my favorite of all the Night Huntress books.

Story: A-