Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Love Me By Christmas
Jaci Burton
The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Shards of Hope by Nalini Singh

Shards of Hope (Psy/Changeling) - Nalini Singh

Opening shortly after the conclusion of the previous book, Shards of Hope shares the story of a post-Silence world, one which sees the fierce and deadly Arrows trying to adapt. Arrow leader Aden, along with one of his top commanders, Zaira, is taken captive by an unknown group, resulting in a temporary disconnect from the PsyNet. This opens up the opportunity for Aden to learn from a Changeling pack and begin to implement post-Silence ideas into his “Arrow pack.”

Overall, I enjoyed Shards of Hope as a transitional book, bringing the Psy and whole world from Silence into post-Silence. While I enjoyed Aden and Zaira's romance, it was very slow moving (which is expected being a Psy-Psy pairing), but more than that, I felt it took a backseat to the rebuilding of the Arrows, and the other subplots all too often. However, individually, I found both Aden and Zaira strong and likable characters. I was interested in their personal growth and development, which was well-written.

Ms. Singh spends a lot of time bringing readers inside the Arrows and running us through the different worldwide groups and groundbreaking changes. Aden is a wonderful leader and the perfect man to take this group of the most damaged Psy into the post-Silence world. Taking actions to mirror that of an alpha of a changeling pack, Nalini is successful in creating a relatable group for the reader. Yet, so much time was spent on the transition that I found myself getting a bit bored with it.

Similarly, I enjoyed reading about the familiar powerful players work through misunderstandings generated by the mischievous Consortium. Knowing that this dangerous and dark group would have been successful in its endeavors to throw the world into chaos just a few books ago, makes the changes all the more rewarding for longtime readers of the series. Yet the multiple POVs and various situations began to weigh down the story and push out the romance.

The other big subplot that took time away from the romance is that of a missing changeling child. I liked this one most of all because it strongly parallels Zaira's own development as she grapples with what Aden wants and needs from her as a partner and lover. As Zaira tries to save the missing girl, Zaira is also saving the lost little girl inside of her own psyche.

Aden and Zaira make a great team and couple. Once their romance starts in earnest, it is spectacular. However, it takes over half the book to even pick up, and once it does, it continues to be pushed aside for the other plots. I felt the book would have been more enjoyable with a better balance between all the parts and pieces.

In the end, I strongly enjoyed much of Shards of Hope, and find it a worthy part of the whole as one story in a huge series. The book is another transitional, post-Silence story, and I'm hoping that Ms. Singh now has all the parts and players in place to move forward. As much as I like the book and the few before this one, I'm burned out on the non-changeling romances. I need some of that fire and passion that once dominated the books, making the Psy-Changeling series one of my favorites.

My Rating:  B, Liked It

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by publisher.