Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Stolen Petals by Katherine McIntyre

Stolen Petals - Jayne Wolf, Katherine McIntyre, Victoria Miller

Viola Embrees runs a respectable bar, but makes her fortune as the Brass Violet, a clever bounty hunter. Unfortunately, Edward Van Clef, aka the Fox, has stolen her bounty out from under her a few times. So when the infamous Fox approaches Viola with an offer to share a bounty, she knows she’ll have to stay a few steps ahead of him to keep him from double crossing her. What she doesn’t expect is to fall for Edward’s charms along the way.

Stolen Petals is a charming, short novella, set in an alternate time. Although the author labels the story as steampunk, it’s not overly techno-driven, and the story lacks much of the steam-powered gadgets I look for in a steampunk title. The story read more like alternate timeline of some older period, mixed with some modern language and tech. It's not bad, but if you are looking for a gadget-heavy world, you won't find it here.

I like Viola and really wanted to learn more about her past and how she came to be a bounty hunter and bar owner. The author does a good job of sharing enough hints about her past to give Viola an intriguing persona, and we understand that she's had a rough time of life. This is enough to round out her character and pique my interest.

Edward is even more of a mystery since the story is never shared from his POV. We only have Viola's impressions of Edward and his reputation as the Fox. And since her perception of men, and Fox specifically, is a bit tarnished, it's tough for me to trust his character.

Their romantic journey is short; the book is only 65+/- pages, which doesn't leave much time. I felt Viola gave her trust to Edward way too easily, but there isn’t space to do otherwise and still reach the HEA by the end of the story. It is sweet and hopeful, but not enough to completely win me over.

Overall, Stolen Petals is an enjoyable, albeit short, read. The story and romance are both entertaining, yet suffer a little under the brevity of the book. If you are looking for a quick escape for an afternoon, Stolen Petals may be the perfect journey away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

My Rating:  B- Liked It, but I had a few small issues

Originally Posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by the author.