Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: The Hostage Bargain by Annika Martin

The Hostage Bargain (Menage: Taken Hostage by Hunky Bank Robbers #1) - Annika Martin

Recently, I finally got around to devouring reading The Kinky Bank Robbers series by Annika Martin (aka Carolyn Crane). The series is a silly, sexy romp, full of fun and adventure, yet serious and poignant when called for. The books follow a group of bank robbers, known as The God Pack, who live life by their own rules, making the most of each moment, while supporting one another with unconditional friendship. Each novella-length book is its own standalone tale, but the stories are richer as they build upon the connections made from book to book. All three books are shared from the first person point of view of Isis.

The Hostage Bargain (Book #1)

It’s just another day at her horrible job at First City National until three bank robbers dressed in business suits and zombie masks walk into Melinda Prescott’s bank. She immediately feels a connection to the group, volunteering herself as a hostage, wanting to help them stick it to her boss - the man she blames for her parents’ death. Now that she’s going along with the group, she wants to fit in, all the way, even adopting a goddess name, Isis, and agrees to all of the group’s sexually deviant rules.

This story works because it is over the top: fun and silly, yet intense. The author does a great job building Isis’s personality as a risk taker, so when she agrees to the bank robbers’ terms, it’s not out of the blue. Additionally, the fast pace allows for an honesty between the characters that would have otherwise been drawn out secrets or misunderstandings in a more traditional romance.

The Kinky Bank Robbers series is aptly named: the group loves sex, naughty, gritty sex that typically involves more than two players. And while there are a number of graphic sex scenes in the short book, the scenes add to the tale - whether it is about pushing individual limits or healing old wounds, it all fits together seamlessly.

My Rating: A- Enjoyed A Lot