Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Dare to Run by Jen McLaughlin

Dare to Run: The Sons of Steel Row - Jen McLaughlin

Recently released from a two-year stint in prison, Lucas Donahue, a ranking member of the Sons of Steel Row gang, was attacked and nearly killed just before he got out. Now he’s back in Boston trying to determine if the attack was personal or business. Unfortunately, it looks like the hit came from within the Son of Steel Row gang, and his own baby brother, Scotty, is the top suspect.

Heidi Greene lives and works in Steel Row, Boston. After living through a rough childhood, Frankie, a father-figure, took in Heidi and looked out and cared for her. After his death, he left her his bar, the Patriot. Late one night when closing up, Heidi is attacked by a rival gang, and Lucas uncharacteristically jumps in to save her. Now all eyes are on the pair to see if they are for real or just a cover.

When I picked up Dare to Run, I didn’t realize it was a gang story, so I wasn’t certain if I’d like the book - I normally don’t do anti-hero romances. However, I ended up enjoying the title. The storyline was engaging from the start, and I found the mystery of who betrayed Lucas interesting and exciting. Lucas and Heidi have real chemistry and work well together. Although, I was not happy with Heidi’s quick-to-fall-in-love feelings.

Dare to Run is a mix of quality action and a storyline with a couple of great twists. However, the quick to “I love you” feelings and some stereotypical behaviors and emotions were annoying at times. Also, the story is shared in alternating first person POVs, which can be confusing. In the end, Dare to Run is a fun read with a decent story and a hot couple, but the cheese factor was a bit off-putting.

My Rating:  C+ Liked It, but I had issues

Review copy provided by publisher.