Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Fully Ignited by Shannon Stacey

Fully Ignited (Boston Fire) - Shannon Stacey

Following along the heels of the previous two books, Fully Ignited opens about six weeks since Engine 59 lieutenant, Danny, was injured on the job and is still out recovering. Scott Kincaid recognizes the crew misses Danny and has no chemistry with the current temp lieutenant, so he’s happy to find out a new temp is set to fill in at E-59, even when he discovers Jamie is a woman.

Jamie Rutherford is the new temporary lieutenant for E-59. Being a ranking female in a primarily male-dominated field, she knows she has to be above the board at all times, or her reputation will be questioned and suffer. She is immediately accepted by the guys (because they are all the good ones!), and she feels comfortable with the group. She's also aware that she's attracted to one of her guys, something that's never happened before. Now Scotty and Jamie must to decide if exploring their mutual attraction is worth the risks.

Okay, I need to say this right up front. I seriously cringe when a book features an employee-employer romance. There are so many reasons it can and should go wrong, and often authors don't treat the situation with the seriousness it deserves. However, Ms. Stacey does a wonderful job addressing the potential pitfalls and develops a wonderful story along the way.

I love Jamie. Not only is she a strong female character, she is a wonderful role model. She doesn’t kid herself when it comes to the discrepancies between males and females in her position, fully understanding and reluctantly accepting of the unfairness as part of the job. I also love that she realizes she has no coping mechanisms for dealing with her attraction to Scotty. She makes no excuses, and her team respects her for it. As does Scotty, so when he screws up, it hurts Jamie even more than if it had been anyone else.

And wow, does Scotty blow it! I was a little frustrated that he did what he did and didn’t communicate better, because they’d been up front with one another for most of the book. But I’ll tell you right now, I cried big, sloppy tears. There is a scene in this book that is utterly amazing, seriously a work of genius; however, I won’t quote it for fear of spoilers. But it’s honest-to-goodness one of the best scenes I’ve ever read. Plus, Ms. Stacey gets bonus points for bringing a hockey legend and sports superstition into the whole scene.

Although the ending of the story was a little to quick for me, Fully Ignited was nearly a perfect read. Shannon Stacey spins another hot romance, hitting me squarely in the heart, and addressing a workplace affair without being formulaic. I adore this series and its hard working, sexy, smart characters.

My Rating:  A- Enjoyed A Lot