Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Wicked Sexy Liar by Christina Lauren

Wicked Sexy Liar - Olivia Song, Deacon Lee, Christina Lauren, Simon & Schuster Audio

London loves her carefree life, surfer by day and bartender by night. She knows how to flirt and smile, but never lets anyone close. She understands heartache after spending her college years with her sweetheart, only to find out he’d been cheating on her almost the entire time. She knows Luke is NOT the guy for her, but maybe one night of passionate sex will help scratch a certain itch.

Luke is every girl’s fantasy and enjoys sharing himself with most every girl that asks. But when he meets London and takes her home for one night, something inside changes, and he realizes he wants more. Now he has to find a way to prove to London that he’s worth a second or third look.

I picked up Wicked Sexy Liar, the fourth title in the Wild Seasons New Adult series, for review without having read or listened to the previous three titles, and it completely works. Although Luke and London may have shown up in previous books, their story is very much standalone (and honestly doesn’t spoil any of the earlier books either). However, now that I’ve finished this book, I can’t wait to go back and read the other three stories!

Luke and London’s romance is probably one of my all-time favorites. They share an instant lust and their sexual chemistry is off the charts. I found it both interesting and a bit of a let down (at first) that the initial two or three sexual experiences where shared solely from Luke's POV. I liked his explicit attention to details and loved how much the experience of having sex with London moved him; how emotional he was. However, I wanted to know what she was thinking and experiencing. Then when we finally did have a sexy scene from London's POV, I found it not as satisfactory because she worked at keeping distance between herself and Luke. The authors expertly convey each character’s emotions and moods with each encounter.

Watching this couple fall in love was utterly enjoyable. Their path was not easy, yet the tale flowed so perfectly. Luke is amazingly romantic. They way he loves London. The way he romances her and is so worried she doesn't love him back. London’s cautiousness is well deserved, yet she hides her pain from others. Seeing her learn to trust and open up made the entire story so much more rewarding.

As for the narration… This was my first experience with a dual narrators. I thought it was going to be a male performing male characters and female performing the female characters. Instead, it was a dueling, first person, present tense POV story, and so the narrators changed when the POV changed. Mr. Lee's voice came as a shock and was a bit jarring the first couple times Luke's POV started.

At first, I felt Luke's voice was wrong. Mr. Lee's voice was much deeper and richer that I would have expected from a 23.5 year old law clerk. I didn't care much for his performance of female characters either. I felt that Ms. Song did a better job of narrating all around. Her male voices felt masculine, and her voice carried itself more of a 23 year old. However, the more I became engrossed in the story, the more Mr. Lee became Luke for me, conversely, the less I cared for Ms. Song's version of Luke.

When all was said and done, I found that I have mixed feelings about dual narrators. Having a man and woman perform the male and female POVs, respectively, is nice and can be enjoyable. However, I found I wanted consistency in each character's voice, which can't happen when there are two different people performing them.

In the end, I absolutely loved Wicked Sexy Liar. I was especially taken with how much Luke's emotions surfaced during sex and every time he looked at London. I love how he embraced his feelings and dove head first into his relationship with London. It was more difficult to connect to London because she kept her guard up and a wall around her own feelings. Yet she was entirely relatable; her worries and fears and past that haunted her. It made the moment she final looks over the edge of the cliff and jumps amazing.

My Rating