Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1
Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Into the Darkness by Katie Reus

Into the Darkness (Darkness Series Book 5) - Katie Reus

In Into the Darkness, author Katie Reus tackles two love stories and wraps up some loose ends, giving the book an end-of-series feel (although based on the epilogue, it’s not). The story opens from POV of Rhea, warrior wolf with Finn's pack. She's being pursued by Conall, the powerful alpha of a pack-friendly dragon clan. The pack is preparing for the wedding of friends Bo and Nyx (romance featured in book 4), bringing Conall and his family to town; however, it looks as if a deadly part of Rhea’s past has resurfaced to create havoc for Finn and his pack.

As the wedding planner, Liberty has become accustom to the supernatural beings surrounding her life. It’s been eight months since Bo and his brothers, most notable of which is Rory, rescued her from a hell dimension where she was tortured and abused. During the past few months, she’s learned to be more independent and is ready to move forward in a romantic relationship with her protector, Rory.

I absolutely enjoyed Into the Darkness; it’s definitely my favorite book of the Darkness series. Bringing together action, suspense, and romance, the book shares solid storylines with an extra helping of steamy passion. Ms. Reus successfully weaves together stories of traditional paranormal mating while giving the romances time to develop and blossom in a smart, contemporary manner.

The number one reason both romances, and the overall story, are a success and a marked improvement over most of today’s PNR titles is COMMUNICATION! I loved the communication going on in this book, and not just between our main romantic couples. The author presented problems and pitfalls, but rather than let them fester and grow into huge conflicts, she gives the characters time to express and explain. *happy sigh* One perfect example is when Conall and Rhea kiss for the first time, and his mating glow starts. She freaks and says no. Instead of this dragging on as a misunderstanding, Rhea explains she can't mate him because she'd make him weaker. He realizes her rejection is out of fear and concern for him. The conflict remains and is still heartbreaking, but for all the right reasons instead of misunderstandings. So impressed!!

I enjoyed reading Into the Darkness tremendously. Several of my annoyances from previous books, and PNR in general, weren't present. The author does a wonderful job developing the characters and fostering solid relationships that are both "meant to be" but also meaningful. The HEAs feel solid and strong. I love that in both cases, and in both genders, the individuals were willing to accept the other as they are and not come to that acceptance only after losing him/her. I love that they converse and compromise without it feeling like someone lost. The book also features a great mix of action, story, and romance. Best book of the series!!

My Rating:  A-/B+ Enjoyed A Lot

Review copy provided by author

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About