Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

When I Need You
Lorelei James
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Duke of Sin by Elizabeth Hoyt

Duke of Sin - Elizabeth Hoyt

Bridget Crumb is a housekeeper of impeccable credentials. She was hired on to the Duke of Montgomery's staff just over two weeks before he was banished from and supposedly left England. Bridget has her own secrets and motivations for working for Montgomery, and now that the Duke is back, she’s got to work harder than ever to find what she needs before she’s caught, or she gives in to the dark temptation that is the Duke of Montgomery.

Although banished from his home,Val Napier, Duke of Montgomery, has been hiding in the walls of his estate for the past three months, collecting secrets so that he can blackmail his way back into society. What he didn’t expect was to come across his newly hired housekeeper snooping around his home. Discovering Bridget’s secrets just may become Val’s favorite new hobby.

Although Duke of Sin is the tenth title in Ms. Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series, I was able to pick it up and enjoy it without any prior knowledge of the series. And oh how I enjoyed it! Not only is the overall story engrossing, but the romance is spectacular. As an anti-hero, Val shines, and Bridget is his perfect counterbalance while standing out in her own light.

Like Capt. Jack Sparrow, Val’s moral compass is skewed. His horrible upbringing shaped him into a man who believes power over others is the only way to survive. He does what he wants, motivated by lust and pleasure. Uncaring of what others think, he thinks only of himself. Yet, his Bridget captivates his mind, heart, and soul. She shows him kindness and love, but is equally clever and devious, which Val understands and respects.

“This is who I am, Séraphine. Naked, with blade and blood. I am vengeance. I am hate. I am sin personified. Never mistake me for the hero of this tale, for I am not and shall never be. I am the villain.”

While he is motivated by power, Bridget is motivated by goodness and kindness. That doesn’t mean she is pure - anything but. Yet she gets through to Val. I love watching Val struggle with Bridget’s ideals and morals: first brushing them off, then listening. However, what I love most is that Val never strives to be a better man; he just wants to be a man Bridget will love.

As Bridget and Val dance around one another and their mutual desires, they must also deal with the repercussions of Val’s blackmailing history and a more sinister evil that could bring down Val once and for all. Watching Val grow, learn, get around his troubles, yet remain true to himself is utterly engrossing.

Duke of Sin is the perfect combination of richly detailed storytelling and intelligent yet sexy romance. Val is the ideal anti-hero, adapting to society because of love, yet never really changing his core persona. On her own, Bridget is one of the smartest, most cunning heroines out there, and when paired with the Duke, the team is magic. “His nemesis, his salvation, maybe his death,” Bridget shows Val how to be the man she can love.

My Rating:  A, Loved It