Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1
Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews

Magic Shifts - Renée Raudman, Ilona Andrews

Listened to #Audiobook May 28, 2016 - June 6, 2016

Audiobook Review:
My original review stands for this one (See original review, below). Magic Shifts is definitely my favorite of the series, and having it read to me by Renee Raudman made it sublime. The emotional content of her performance took one of the most gripping, heart-wrenching scenes from excellent to perfection. Ms. Raudman is able to create ideal voices for such a wide cast of characters and situations, adding just the right amount of emotion - I seriously cannot get enough of the series as narrated by Ms. Raudman.

My Rating (audiobook): A+
Narration: A+

Originally read from July 16 - July 24, 2015.

Original review:
It’s honestly becoming difficult to write reviews for the Kate Daniels series because I cannot find the words to express how amazing the books and overall series are. The world building, story telling, plot development, characters’ relationships… every aspect of the series… it all works so well, the stories are darn near perfection. Every book, while completely original, builds upon the previous story, creating an utterly sublime experience, making me want to reread the series from the beginning each time. If you aren’t reading the Kate Daniels series, you are missing out.

Note: This review may contain spoilers from earlier titles in the series.

So let’s begin with Magic Shifts. It’s been about two months and Kate, Curran, and Julie are enjoying some down time in their new home in the suburbs. Curran is adjusting to retirement as best as he can, but the gang cannot step foot in the Keep or sway anyone into leaving the Pack with them. This is an important point because Mahon’s daughter, George, comes to seek help from Kate and Curran in locating her fiancé, Eduardo. Pack politics and a disapproving father have left George desperate to find the man she loves. Unfortunately, the missing were-bison is only the tip of the iceberg for the gang.

Magic Shifts is a transitional book for the series, yet it is so much more. What makes this book in particular so wonderful?

1) Kate and Curran. Now that Kate has confronted her father and laid claim to Atlanta, she no longer has to hide her magic. Plus Curran is no longer the Beast Lord, so he’s got time on his hands. I absolutely love the interactions between the couple and family dynamics with Julie. Kate and Curran’s relationship has developed to a whole new level. Their mutual respect and love grows with each interaction, making them my absolute favorite literary couple.

2) World-building. It’s complex and so very interesting. I always admire how the authors take generally obscure and unknown mythology, twisting it to fit their magic-infused world. It becomes so logical and believable because they always cover all the basis and explain the intricacies. Magic Shifts makes me want to learn more about Arabic mythology.

3) The characters. I have grown to care about them all. I love how in every book one or more surprise me. Only because the characters change and grow - or they don’t, but their true natures are exposed. This happened more than once during the story, but it never feels forced. The character development is amazing.

4) Roland. I wondered how he’d fit into the series moving forward after Kate’s confrontation. I both enjoyed and grew more apprehensive based on his actions and a prophesy shared during this book. Additionally, the “family time” was touching, funny, and educational.

5) Emotional storytelling. I don’t want to give any spoilers in this one, but there is something that happens and it is heart-wrenching. When it happens, even though as the reader I believed all would be okay, both Kate and Curran don’t know what will happen. Their emotional intensity during this time brought me to tears.

6) Post-Pack dynamics. Let’s face it, from the very beginning, the Pack as been a central part of the series, and where would the series go without those characters? The authors did a great job separating Kate and Curran from the Pack, but kept all the players as central characters.

In the end, Magic Shifts is an amazing story full of action, adventure, and love. I cannot sing enough praises for the Kate Daniels series.

My Rating: A+ Personal Favorite