Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Mercy Blade: Jane Yellowrock, Book 3
Audible Studios, Faith Hunter, Khristine Hvam
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Allegiance of Honor by Nalini Singh

Allegiance of Honor (Psy/Changelings) - Nalini Singh

Nalini Singh creates a sweeping look at her entire Psy-Changeling cast of characters and previous storylines with Allegiance of Honor. Bold in scope and content, the book picks up the overarching storyline of the series, focusing on the downfall of Silence and what it means to the three species inhabiting Earth. While there are no new romances or characters featured this time around, the story continues forward the series while giving fans a look at each character and how they’ve fared since introduction.

Within the book, there are a handful of primary stories:

1. There is an unknown treat to Lucas and Sascha’s child, Naya;

2. The PsyNet continues to deteriorate even after the re-introduction of Es;

3. There is a lead on one of the missing BlackSea changelings, Leila Savea;

4. Father Xavier Perez is looking for his lost love;

5. Making the Trinity Accord work and what to do with Ming LeBon; and

6. Planning a huge, joint SnowDancer/DarkHunter celebration.

Each of these stories progresses, with a conclusion to some, while others may give lead to what looks to be the next story-arc of the series.

While I adore the slice of life features Ms. Singh sends in her newsletter and posts online, I now realize that I best enjoy them in small doses. This book felt like it was primarily a huge collection of these short slice-of-life features, and it didn’t always work for me. Each mini-look was interesting, but when all tied together, they started to drag on. I was more interested in the overall storylines and seeing progress, rather than catching up on each character or waiting for the pupcubs to be born. When the book focused on the bigger storylines, like searching for the missing BlackSea member or working on the Trinity Accord, I was completely captivated and hungry for more. I am excited for the future of the series as the three races work together.

Overall, I enjoyed Allegiance of Honor, but in the end, I wanted more. The book is entertaining, and I generally liked the little visits with every single character we've met in the past, but I wanted more guts to the book. More story and less all over the place. I wanted more of the solid, complex storylines and rich plots that I've come to expect and love from Ms. Singh.

My Rating: B/B- Enjoyed it with reservations

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by publisher