Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Terminal Alliance: Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse Series, Book 1
Tantor Audio, Jim C. Hines, Rebecca Mitchell
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Top to Bottom by Delphine Dryden

Top to Bottom - Delphine Dryden

Mistress Amie lives day-to-day without attachments. She loves her job at the gym, but the only person she has any type of bond with is her ex, Mara, whom she’s sent away for good to a new club, Escape. She used to love the crowd and scenes at her current club, but now, the club just feels drama-filled and tired.

Dru is determined to make club Escape work. On her own, she seeks the advice of her onetime college partner, Amie, to help the club break even. What she didn’t expect is to have feelings for Amie, even after their initial reunion left little to be desired.

Top to Bottom is a love story of two women finding their way back to one another after many years. Although the years in between college and current day were filled with significant life trials, shaping each woman into someone slightly different and a bit stronger. Top to Bottom shares the final stage of each female’s development; both taking that final step to heal and love.

Amie’s wild and crazy ways condemned her to homelessness when her family discovered her kissing another girl. With all of her college friends gone, Amie struggled until she found her first job. Understanding the hardship and humiliation of living on the streets, and the pain of loneliness after being cast out by her family, Amie doesn’t trust easily. Dru gives her balance and a safe place to share herself. While I found the falling (back) into love part a bit too easy, or rather than it felt like it happened under the radar, it was still believable because of the pair’s dynamic when we did see them together, opening up and therefore, growing. Dru pushes Amie with just the right amount of determination, until Amie realizes she can trust again.

Meanwhile, Dru has lived a pretty good life, until she lost her partner. Opening the club was their dream, and Dru is determined to make it work. However, someone is out to ruin her and/or her club, and giving up may be the easier option. At times I felt like Dru saw Amie as a case to manage - something broken to be fixed - and that’s what drove the relationship. However, it was done because she cared, and she was ready to move on with her life. Dru saw past Amie’s hard shell and wanted to expose the potential within.

Top to Bottom is a standalone read with ties to the previous title in the series. At the heart it’s a solid love story, with a healthy sampling of personal growth, creating an enjoyable read. There are a few BDSM scenes, with both the scenes and sex used as tools to drive the characters from the past into their future.

My Rating: B- Liked It

Review copy provided by publisher.