Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Chasing Destiny (Silver Tip Pack Book 2)
Megan Erickson
The Silver Skull: The Elemental Web Chronicles, Book 2
Henrietta Meire, Anne Renwick, Tantor Audio
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Still the One by Jill Shalvis

Still the One: Animal Magnetism, Book 6 - Jill Shalvis, Karen White

Picking up the characters and stories started in the previous title, Still the One shares the story and romance of Darcy and AJ. Darcy is the sister of Wyatt (Then Came You), still recovering from a near-fatal car wreck. Darcy is able to walk and mostly get around on her own thanks to her Wyatt’s best friend, physical therapist AJ. Over the months of P/T, which we first witness in Then Came You, AJ and Darcy have developed a dangerous attraction, but they cannot get along whatsoever. With funding for AJ’s programs on the line, Darcy agrees to a weekend away to help secure additional monies. Now will either be able to survive a weekend together, alone?

Darcy and AJ are, in one word, HOT. I loved their chemistry, which was evident in both their sizzling attraction, as well as their tit-for-tat bantering. Both have huge hearts and a lot of baggage, so opening up and letting someone in is very difficult. This is what makes their connection very rewarding as the reader (listener) witnesses the bonds growing stronger with each chapter.

Equally enjoyable was the emotionally fulfilling backstories and both Darcy and AJ learn to get past their individual issues. Darcy had a crappy childhood, with parents that don’t really care. AJ got burned by someone he loved more than anything. These are issues each has struggled with for years, and I’m grateful they don’t just magically disappear. Ms. Shalvis rewards readers by having both AJ and Darcy work through the baggage, only to come out stronger in the end.

Listening again at 1.5x speed, I throughly enjoyed Karen White’s performance. She instills strong personality into each character, giving everyone his or her own voice. Additionally, she masters the emotional state of each character, providing an enriching listening experience.

Overall, I completely enjoyed listening to Still the One. I find that this series seems to get better and better with each story. I especially loved that the book went a little beyond the “HFN moment” and let the reader see the couple together for a bit. While the Darcy and AJ’s romance is standalone, I feel that the reader should at least start with the prior book, Then Came You, to get a good feel for both Darcy and AJ’s background and connections to Wyatt. All-in-all, a fantastic listen!

My Rating: A-