Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Chasing Destiny (Silver Tip Pack Book 2)
Megan Erickson
The Silver Skull: The Elemental Web Chronicles, Book 2
Henrietta Meire, Anne Renwick, Tantor Audio
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews

Magic Binds - Ilona Andrews

Nine books in and the Kate Daniels series continues to be one of the best and most original out there. Magic Binds ushers in some big changes for the series and its characters, while maintaining a level of familiarity that grounds the reader as she goes on another fantastical ride with Kate.

Kate and Curran are within two weeks of their wedding and of course, Kate’s malevolent father is causing problems and making life difficult. Roland oscillates between trying to goad Kate into battle and inserting fatherly concern over her upcoming nuptials. Roland’s duality, and its effect on Kate, made for some humorous moments. Unfortunately for Kate, Roland kidnaps one of Atlanta’s citizens, and, therefore, Kate must defend her people by getting him back. Walking a fine political line, Kate must juggle her own morality and magic against how best to resolve the issues.

While continuing the series in a very familiar way, Magic Binds felt very different to me. Usually Kate is battling creepy-crawly, evil creatures on behalf of others, and each book focuses on her personal journey as she goes through these trials. Yet Magic Binds is all about Kate. From her growing powers to her wedding to her battle with Roland, the entire book is extremely personal.

Yet even with the change in the aura surround the series, certain things remained the same. The underlying humor that permeates Kate’s dialogue and thoughts is utterly sublime. I smile, snicker, and laugh so often when reading these books. Another constant is the caliber of the action sequences. Never over the top or gratuitous, until they need to be, the fight and action scenes are perfectly choreographed, keeping me on the proverbial edge of my seat. The attention to detail, coupled with the emotional intensity as Kate struggles, brings to life each confrontation.

The biggest drawback of Magic Binds is the ending. No spoilers here. However, I felt like the main story just ended, and I was left unfulfilled. It was an extremely full story, but the ending was very sudden and too abrupt. The authors do provide a lovely epilogue that buffered the rough edges of the main story, and I loved it, but even the epilogue has a bit of a jaw-dropping aspect to it. Additionally, I felt that there were a couple of BIG unanswered questions - things that were directly part of the story - that shouldn’t have been left hanging. I needed some closure on issues that came up in the book.

Overall, I love the Kate Daniels series, and I truly enjoyed Magic Binds. Although the story had a very different feel, with a focus on Kate rather than solving a mystery or helping someone, it remained true to the series. The book was PACKED with humor, action, and startling revelations, which kept me reading until the very end. It’s my favorite series for a reason, and even when it’s not my absolute favorite book in the series, it’s still an amazing tale.

My Rating:  B+ Liked It A Lot

Review copy provided by publisher

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About