Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Terminal Alliance: Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse Series, Book 1
Tantor Audio, Jim C. Hines, Rebecca Mitchell
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Archangel's Heart by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Heart - Nalini Singh

Opening two years forward from the conclusion of the previous book, it’s been a fairly quiet time since the Ancient Alexander awoke early and the world last saw Lijuan. The Cascade has paused, and everyone is waiting for things to get hinky again. Because of the potential imbalance in the Cadre with Lijuan missing, the Luminata, an independent, neutral, secretive group, has called the Cadre together. The Cadre must decide if she's dead, Sleeping, or other, and what to do with her Territory. With the meeting being held in the homelands of Elena’s maternal grandmother, she decides it is time to do some digging into her own little-known past.

Archangel’s Heart is another great story in what has become one of my favorite series! I absolutely LOVE the Guild Hunter stories, most especially when they are Elena/Raphael-centric. While overall I'd still call it a paranormal romance series, this go-around is more on the urban fantasy side of the equation. Raphael and Elena’s relationship is now one hundred percent solid, and while they will continue to experience growing pains and have to deal with changes, their romance wasn’t the focus of the book. This time the focus was on Elena's past and Cadre politics. It was exciting and gripping, but also tender and sweet. I continued to enjoy Raphael and Elena’s many-tiered encounters: intelligent dialogue, playful sparring, tender moments, sexual and sensual lovemaking. It's all so three-dimensional and fulfilling on multiple levels.

One of the things that stood out most this time is how the powerful Archangel of Manhattan is embracing his touched-by-mortality heart. Not only does he respect his Guild Hunter angel, but Raphael listens to her counsel and allows her to take her own risks. He changes are most apparent as Raphael helps Elena understand the politics of the Cadre, and how mortal lives have little meaning to these immortal Archangels. His earnest efforts to protect human lives is directly the result of Elena’s influence. I hope to see a shift in the thinking of the Cadre as Raphael’s powers grow during the Cascade.

While the tone of the Guild Hunters series has always hovered a shade or two darker than Ms. Singh’s other PNR series, this time around, I also found it to be heart-stoppingly suspenseful. While staying with the Luminata, Elena and Raphael uncover dark secrets that tie into Elena’s own past. Each time Elena investigated a lead or looked into a rumor, my heart raced: the tension was outstanding. I seriously was on the edge of my seat... pacing... nervous... as they made their discoveries, guessing and knowing what they would find. It was hard for me to read without skipping over sections just to discover the truth more quickly. The dialogue was perfect for the scenes - the horrified anger, yet the mutual love and respect. I haven't been this engaged in a suspenseful scene in a long time. Ms. Singh is a masterful storyteller, and her abilities truly shine in Archangel’s Heart.

In the end, Archangel’s Heart is a fabulous story, filled with action, suspense, and genuine love. Learning more about the Cadre’s politics and Elena’s own ancestry gave incredible depth to an already richly developed world. Additionally, Ms. Singh provided more insight into two of Raphael’s Seven, setting up future stories in this amazing series.

My Rating:  A, Loved It

review copy provided by publisher

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About