Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Audiobook Review: About a Dragon by G.A. Aiken

About a Dragon - G.A. Aiken

Talaith lived the same dead-end life, day after day for sixteen years, with the town's people afraid of her and a dimwitted husband who thinks she's the devil. She's been sent to this little town by her goddess, waiting for the day Talaith is called to perform an act of sacrifice on her behalf. But the day that Briec passes through her town, everything changes.

Briec, a powerful and arrogant dragon, sees Talaith and demands she join him, even after she tells him she's married. Right from the start he finds himself obsessed with her and wants his own human plaything. And when the town's people decide to riot and kill Talaith, Briec gets his chance, saving her and stealing her away.

About a Dragon picks up about three years after the first book, with Annwyl the Bloody as queen, and dragons and humans forming an alliance. However, none of this news reaches Talaith's small town, and as the book unfolds, we learn how Talaith's human goddess has manipulated events in Talaith's life. Likewise, we learn more about the dragon deities, and the history of the dragons. This expansion of mythology is equally interesting and exciting. It gives the book weight and increases the fantasy appeal.

Although still not one to rate in my top of lists, the Dragon Kin series, its characters, and even the narration have grown on me. I enjoy following the adventures of this crazy, unconventional family. Their rudeness and barbaric, bloody behaviors make it a unique and compelling listen. However, after three pairs of males and females who constantly argue, I really hope for something a bit different stories.

As the book went on, I grew to like Talaith, especially as her motives were unveiled. She's a strong woman, as are most in this series. I also like that Annwyl’s character didn’t grow softer, if anything, she’s more crazy as she leads the kingdom these days. Additionally, the introduction of Izzy brings promise of fun adventures in the future. The males of the series, including Briec, seem a bit rough around the edges, yet are mesmerized and perplexed by their chosen females. I enjoy that they succumb to their feelings and revel in being with strong females.

The narration by Hollie Jackson still isn't my favorite, but by now, I'm used to her voices for the males and females, humans and dragons. She is consistent, which helps when listening to a story involving more than two points-of-view. Additionally, it sounds like she's having fun with the roles, keeping some humor in her voice as she portrays these crazy characters.

Overall, About a Dragon is an interesting tale, most suited for fantasy romance and PNR fans. There is crude humor (I found myself laughing from time-to-time), along with bloody action and an increasing, growing mythology. I found About a Dragon to be a bit more engaging than the first title. I think because the world, along with my expectations, was set in the first book, and this time around I was more interested in the overall story, with the romance being secondary. The love story is good, but I did get bored with the number of sex scenes and the constant need for Talaith and Briec to argue to get turned on. In the end, I enjoyed the family dynamics and the interesting mythology surrounding the humans and dragons. While the dragons and their gods may have won this round, I have a feeling there will be more strife in the future.

My Rating: B-