Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Daring Fate by Megan Erickson

Daring Fate - Megan Erickson

Reese and younger brother Jude have escaped their werewolf pack and its sadistic alpha, Xan. However, their sister remains behind, and with the threat that Xan will mate her in a month, the pressure is on Reese to save her. The problem: Dare, the alpha of the Silver Tip Were pack.

When his Pack Guard found and rescued two werewolves from the Noweres, the last thing Dare expected was to find his True Mate. But Dare embraces Reese as his mate and over time, the pair form a deeper bond beyond the sex of mating. As Reese learns more about the once-feared Silver Tip Alpha, he is torn between protecting his mate and adopted pack and rescuing his sister.

Daring Fate is the first book in Megan Erickson’s new Silver Tip Pack series. Ms. Erickson successfully introduces readers to a twist on the shifter mythology. A century ago, there was a virus that killed all of the humans and two-thirds of the Weres… but those Weres that died became Noweres, an undead version of the warrior Were form. Werewolves and Weres live in isolated packs, remaining fairly solitary and at peace with one another, as long as they leave the one another alone. What remains after the virus are three species: werewolves, who shift between human and a wolf; Weres, who shift between human, wolf, and a huge wolf/human hybrid; and Noweres, the undead monsters.

Dare and Reese are a rare True Mated couple. While Reese’s werewolf parents were True Mates and equal lovers, he wasn’t old enough to understand what the bond meant before they were killed before his eyes. Dare knows of no True Mated Weres, and neither know of a cross-species situation. This leaves both men lost, without a clue what is normal or to be expected with True Mates, and I like that both are a bit terrified of doing something wrong. I feel the story was made stronger with both Reese and Dare fully accepting and embracing the mating bond, and that the mating was done right up front, rather than a constant, reluctant pull throughout the story. They are completely sexually compatible, and as time goes on, they discover they are compatible in all important matters of the heart.

The True Mate aspect, as well as the complex shifter mythology, give the story a strong sense of a traditional paranormal romance (PNR), something I haven’t enjoyed in a while. There is lots of hot (gay) shifter sex, with the romance as the central core of the book. However, the need for Reese to rescue his sister creates a complex and emotional plotline. With the dueling first person POVs of Reese and Dare, readers experience firsthand how conflicted the situation becomes for both males. The emotions were raw and real, allowing me to connect and empathize with both men. And I appreciate how the author’s world doesn’t need explanation — it just is — when it comes to sexuality and sex. The pack is open and caring, no matter how the genders match up.

While the beginning of the tale was by no means boring as we witness Reese and Dare connect, the story really picked up after the midpoint with the rescue mission for Selena. Furthermore, several supporting characters are introduced throughout the book, creating additional bonds and prospects for future tales.

Overall, I enjoyed my introduction to the Silver Tip pack, Reese, and Dare. While the story is standard PNR, the mythology has its own uniqueness, making it interesting and exciting. Now that the author has set the world, I am interested to see how the lingering open storylines play out. I recommend Daring Fate for fans of werewolf love stories and old-fashioned PNR goodness.

My Rating: B, Liked It

Review copy provided by author

Posted at That's What I'm Talking About 11/29/16