Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

One Fell Sweep - Ilona Andrews

Opening three days after the conclusion of the previous book and just days before Christmas, an unauthorized Ku alien makes a ruckus in Dina's neighborhood, bringing word to Dina that her sister is in grave trouble and needs help. And that's just the start of Dina's troubles. Soon she finds herself in the middle of a holy war, with her guests the primary target.

One Fell Sweep is another exciting tale set in the wholly original world of the Innkeepers. The unique mythology, complex plotlines, and captivating characters draw me further into this world with each subsequent read and listen to these books. And by the conclusion of One Fell Sweep I was ready to jump into the next story immediately - do I really have to wait another year?

So much happens in this title, I won’t even begin to try and summarize the various plot and subplots. However, there is tremendous growth and forward movement for the characters by the end of One Fell Sweep. First, Dina is reunited with part of her family: sister Maud and niece Helen. Last Dina knew, her sister was happily married to a ranking officer from one of the Vampire families. However we quickly learn her husband is dead, and the pair returns to Earth with Dina. Having Maud and Helen reenter Dina’s life was one of the best parts about the story. Dina has been alone for too long, and allowing her to let her guard down and connect with those she trusts and understand what her life entails was rewarding. Additionally, Maud provides comic relief as only a sibling can.

Maud is also an excellent tool for putting an end to Lord Arland’s silly obsession with Dina, squelching any potential love triangle storylines (amen!). Witnessing Arland’s fall as he gets to know Maud is perfect. She is everything he has been looking for in a woman, and it confuses and excites him. His interactions with Maud and Helen are fabulous.

I am also happy to report that Sean is solidly in the picture the entire story this time around. I appreciate and admire how the authors have grown his character from the first book through the conclusion of One Fell Sweep. Sean had to explore the universe and test himself before he could figure out what he wants in life. I’m thankful he did; I feel it makes the romance between Sean and Dina all the more fulfilling. Additionally, I appreciate how the pair must come to terms with the strong will of the other.

Finally, main character, Dina, continues to amaze me. She has such a strong Innkeeper sense for right and wrong. The lengths to which she extends herself in order to protect her guests, her Inn, and her family makes her a true hero. I love that she’s not your typical kickass heroine. She’s quick and smart, and can beat the snot out of her enemies, but she isn’t a fighter. Rather she’s a nurturer, and a solid one at that.

The self-contained plots of One Fell Sweep were well written and brought forth a number of emotions. Additionally, there are a couple HUGE storylines that were left wide open, ready to be picked up next time. And there were other bits and pieces that I absolutely loved over the course of the book, but unless you want a 10-page review, I’ll stop with what I’ve mentioned thus far.

In the end, I throughly enjoyed reading One Fell Sweep. The writing team of Ilona Andrews is simply a creative genius, able to weave fantastic tales that not only seem plausible but make me wish I could be part of the world. As the third book in the series with significant ties to the preceding plotlines, I encourage newcomers to start with the first book, Clean Sweep

My Rating: A-