Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck (Southern Eclectic Book 1)
Molly Harper
A Plague of Giants
Deutschland Random House Audio, Kevin Hearne, Xe Sands, Luke Daniels
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: The Edge of the Blade by Jeffe Kennedy

The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms) - Jeffe Kennedy

The Edge of the Blade is another exciting tale in the wonderful fantasy romance Uncharted Realms series by Jeffe Kennedy. The book opens about midway through the action of the previous book, when Jepp must take over as the Dasnarian emissary. Trapped on a boat with the misogynistic, yet utterly sexy and entertaining Prince Kral, Jepp tries to learn the ways of Dasnaria as not to let down her queen. Trying to hold on to what makes Jepp all she is while figuring out how to maneuver the political waters of a foreign land leaves Jepp confused and frustrated. However, how she does work her way around is entertaining for the reader.

Overall, I enjoyed The Edge of the Blade; however, it took me a very long time to get into the story. I just didn't connect with the characters or the storyline for a while. The "backwards" way of the Dasnarians was part of the reason. Like Jepp, I was completely frustrated with the attitudes of both the Dasnarian men and women. However, I did like and enjoy that the author took the time to help Jepp understand why those raised in gilded cages don't see a way or understand a reason to leave.

Jepp and Kral enjoyed playing games with one another, but their time on the ship was not my favorite part of the story. Once the pair were in the Emperor's palace, the book was more enjoyable. The tempo picked up; however it was the small nuances of working around the rules and restrictions that made the story intriguing. I loved seeing Jepp try to understand the Desnarian women while helping liberate them.

The love story was almost second fiddle to the overall storyline. It took me a while to feel connected to the pair. They are oil and vinegar; fire and ice. They truly are meant to be and a perfect fit, but their individual missions and goals prevented them from seeing anything longterm. Kral tried to fit Jepp into his world, something that took him forever to figure out would never work. Once they opened up, both on the ship and at the palace, I could feel their connection and liked it much more. I did like them as a couple, it just took too long for me to get the feels.

Overall, The Edge of the Blade is another wonderful addition to an amazing series. The author excels at writing first person narrative and truly portraying her main character's innermost thoughts and desires thoroughly and consistently. I love the expanding world and look forward to whatever comes next.

My Rating: B