Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Legs (One Wild Wish, #1)
Kelly Siskind
A Plague of Giants
Deutschland Random House Audio, Kevin Hearne, Xe Sands, Luke Daniels
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Accidentally on Purpose by Jill Shalvis

Accidentally on Purpose - Jill Shalvis

Elle Wheaton is the successful manager of hot downtown San Francisco property and is putting herself through school with aspirations of owning her own accounting firm. She doesn’t let anything or anyone get in her way. However, with Archer Hunt as the head of her building’s security, she has a few hurdles to jump. They have a past. She's still attracted to him, but wants a man who is safe, secure, and stable. Archer is none of these things.

Archer, ex-police officer, owns his own private investigation and security firm. He saved a 16-year old street rat, Elle, when he was a 22-year old rookie cop. He wants Elle badly but will never act on it because he knows he reminds her of the bad times in her past. So instead, he protects her from a far, getting in some ribbing when he can.

Elle and Archer make a terrific pair. Although the couple plays games, especially with their mutual attraction, their history creates a deep connection that neither can shake. Right from the start, I loved how much Archer wants to protect Elle – how much he desires her, but won’t jeopardize her emotional well-being by moving in on her. He understands Elle like no other, and he realizes she still feels like she owes him a huge debt for saving her life. I admire that he won’t act on his feelings; concerned she’ll only reciprocate out of a sense of debt.

Meanwhile, Elle longs for Archer and is beyond frustrated he won’t act on their attraction. After a year of this back-and-forth, it was only a matter of time before the pair’s attraction ignited into a passionate affair. Even after Elle and Archer give into lust, their concerns over hurting the other keep them apart, so there is no easy road to HEA. Yet, it works because they are honest with themselves and each other, allowing time to work out the hiccups.

The story behind Accidentally on Purpose was engrossing. Not because it was a special or unique tale, not because it was filled with deep plot lines or smart dialogue, but because the author created real characters that I cared about. I was emotionally invested in their well-being and wrapped up in how things would play out. Archer and Elle are perfect for one another, and they take the time necessary to work through their hang-ups. They are both guarded but decide it's finally time to let the other in. I enjoyed watching Elle get mad, but then work through it and make things right for her. She has a generous heart and cares so much. Archer is the consummate protector but realizes he's made mistakes and wants to do right by Elle.

Overall, Accidentally on Purpose is an entertaining, engrossing love story about characters I've come to care about over the course of the Heartbreaker Bay series. Elle and Archer are two peas in a pod that are finally in a place to open up and let the other in... and fall in love. I enjoyed reading this one poolside on my vacation, finishing it in record time, and I cannot wait to find out who will be next to fall in love in this wonderful series.

My Rating: B+ Liked It A Lot