Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Silver Silence by Nalini Singh

Silver Silence - Nalini Singh

Valentin Nikolaev is the alpha of StoneWater clan, the dominant bear shifters that surround Moscow. He is a fairly new alpha, one of a fractured clan, and who is trying to adjust to this new and changing world. Valentin recognizes that the icy and powerful Silver Mercant, Kaleb Krychek’s right hand, is his mate. He’s trying to woo Silver by being sneaky like a cat (he knows that Lucas was able to win the heart of his own Psy, so he’s trying to be both a bear and a cat).

Silver Mercant is the heir to the Mercant clan, currently run by her grandmother, Ena. They are a strong family unit, one that has survived through Silence with more “life” than most other Psys. And although the world is starting to shift away from Silence, it is not a choice for Silver who lives with a genetic defect. Yet, she feels her walls breaking every time she’s around Valentin.

Silver Silence is the first book in Ms. Singh’s Psy-Changeling Trinity series which continues the Psy-Changeling story in a post-Silence world. While one could start their journey into this wonderful world with this book, I feel that the first 15 titles are equality important in setting the tone and feel for this new world - one with human, Psy, and Changeling turmoil and celebrations.

I absolutely adore Valentin, who has known Silver is his mate since he met her ten months prior. He’s utterly adorable as he attempts to win her over with his treats and notes. He knows Silver is Silent, but that there is more to her than the cold, emotionless facade, and he gets his chance to see more with the attempt on Silver’s life at the opening of the book. Forced to move into Denhome for her own safety, Silver must adjust to being around the emotional bears. I love that Valentin pushes Silver - challenges her to see if there is another way than Silence now that she is an adult. And Silver takes up his challenge.

Silver is the perfect match for Valentin and visa-versa. They are both strong “alpha” characters that carry the weight of their respective families on their shoulders and in their hearts. They understand one another and the responsibilities that come as part of the package, which allows them to bond through opening up and sharing common experiences. Silver honestly wants to challenge herself to love her bear, and when things don’t go as expected, my heart broke wide open. The only small negative about the storyline is that it somewhat mirrored the backstory of Valentin’s parents; however the outcome is completely different.

Opening up this new territory to her readers, Ms. Singh introduces a slew of new characters, locations, and even concepts. I did get confused a couple times, but took lots of notes to help me learn the new parts of this changing world. There is a lot of momentum with the Human Alliance and also the mysterious Consortium, which is exciting for those who’ve been with the series since the beginning. I like the added human elements and adore the Human Alliance leader Bo Knight.

One of my absolute favorite new characters is that of Ena, Grandmother Mercant. She’s wise and strong, and not particularly Silent when around her own family. She cares for Silver and wants her to succeed and be happy. She’s so smart and sneaky - I really hope to see more of her in future titles. Here is just one of the many quotes I highlighted when reading:

[Valentin is talking to Ena about Silver’s safety]

“Are you asking me to kidnap your granddaughter?”

“Let’s call it an enforced move out of the field of danger.”

In the end, Silver Silence holds much promise for the future of one of the best PNR series out there. Ms. Singh has expanded her original mythology without losing site of the core essence of her books: romance. The match between Silver and Valentin is familiar, yet unique. There is the warmth and comfort of the early Changeling-centric stories, but takes the world in a new direction that puts Psys, Changelings, and Humans on a level playing field. I completely enjoyed my time in Denhome and learning all about the StoneWater Bears. There is no party like a bear party, and I look forward to many more stories!

My Rating:  B+ Liked It A Lot

Review copy provided by publisher

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About