Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune  - Frank Herbert, Simon Vance

I often say that Duke is one of the best books ever written, a "classic;" however, I hadn't read it in at least 15 years. Now that I'm such an audiobook fan, I wanted to revisit Dune to discover if I still enjoyed it. The answer is YES!

The story of Paul Muad'Dib, the heir to the Atreides dukedom, is one that transcends the test of time. It is as fresh and relevant today as it was 50 years ago. Each time I read/listen to the story, I find new treasures: bits of wisdom, secret meanings, insightful allegory. The writing is sharp, full of beautiful detail, if not a bit long-winded at times. However, I enjoy omnipresent multiple point-of-view narrative as it truly gives the reader a complete immersion into Mr. Herbert's complex and fascinating world.

The audiobook is a full cast production, with primary narration by Simon Vance. Although I looked for it, I could not find a cast listing for each character. Mr. Vance does an excellent job as the primary voice for the story. His cadence is strong, yet flexible; bending to meet the needs of each character. He alters his inflections and accent for each player. I would have enjoyed the book with Mr. Vance as the sole narrator. However, this version does have both male and female "actors" for each character, and are used most often when there is direct dialogue between two or more characters. Some of the narrators are more successful than others, my favorites being Paul and Jessica. My biggest complaint is that the use of the full cast is not consistent. There are long passages when Mr. Vance is the only voice, and then suddenly, the book goes back to a multi-cast production. While this issue did stand out because I took notice a few times, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.

In the end, Dune remains one of my all time favorites and a book I will most certainly read (or listen to) again and again. Now if only we can get a decent movie of the book!

My Rating: A+