Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Royal Ruin: A Second Chance Royal Romance (Flings With Kings)
Jessica Peterson
Down by Contact: Barons Series, Book 2
Eric London, Tantor Audio, Santino Hassell, Alexander Cendese
A Wrinkle in Time
Hope Davis, Madeleine L'Engle
Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

#Audiobook Review: Villains Rule by M. K. Gibson

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1 - Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer

Villains Rule is an entertaining story which shares the antics of Jackson Blackwell, aka the Shadow Master. An enterprising human, Jackson somehow created his own pocket dimension and makes a lot of money advising villains across the realms. Each realm appears to be literary world and/or genre. In this tale, Jackson finds himself back in the field rather than behind a desk, trying to assist a fantasy-realm bad guy, who ends up double-crossing him and leaving Jackson on his own in a strange land. However, Jackson understands the rules of this fantasy realm and bends them to suit his needs, proving that a true villain will do whatever it takes to win.

Trying to define Villains Rule or fit it neatly into any genre is impossible. The story bends and breaks established rules, with the protagonist often sharing his wisdom and knowledge directly with the listener (reader). The story mocks traditional fantasy tropes, with Jackson twisting the rules of the realm to suit his wicked plans. As a reader of fantasy books (and having seen several movies), I enjoy the ridicule of the norm and watching how Jackson works his way out of any dire situation. While he comes awful close to becoming the anti-hero, his actions always prove he truly is the bad guy.

Even a villain can use some help, and the supporting cast of characters is fabulous. I love his assistant Sophia, who always puts Jackson in his place and keeps him on the path to victory. Additionally, Jackson brings together a band of heroes, as the trope requires, so that he can defeat those who betrayed him. This group of would-be-saviors, with Jackson’s help, straddles the line between light and dark, but always bending to Jackson’s needs.

The story’s humor is amplified by the marvelous performance of Jeffrey Kafer. He’s got a voice made for television - one that seems so familiar, you’ll spend time trying to place where you may have heard it. Mr. Kafer displays a wide range of voices from Jackson’s smooth villain to his nephew’s lackadaisical drawl. He masters both male and female voices with distinction.

In the end, I throughly enjoyed the entertaining Villains Rule. The narration is absolutely fabulous; humor amazing. I love the sarcastic storyline and the fun had at the expense of fantasy tropes. Villains Rule is both original and fun.

My Rating: B+