Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Royal Ruin: A Second Chance Royal Romance (Flings With Kings)
Jessica Peterson
Down by Contact: Barons Series, Book 2
Eric London, Tantor Audio, Santino Hassell, Alexander Cendese
A Wrinkle in Time
Hope Davis, Madeleine L'Engle
Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: Elizabeth's Wolf by Lora Leigh

Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds) - Lora Leigh

If you’ve followed by reviews for any length of time, you know I have a love-hate relationship with the Breeds series by Lora Leigh. It’s my crack - not always providing substance, but hard to quit. I started the series with Megan’s Mark (book #7), so I missed out on a few of the early, world-building titles. Berkley Publishing and the author are re-releasing Elizabeth’s Wolf, in preparation of this fall’s release of Cassie’s book (Cross Breed). Hear the cheer from fans around the world!

Dash, posing as a human solider, was injured in the line of duty, losing his men at the same time. Feeling hopeless, his world turns around when he starts receiving letters from a little girl named Cassie. He knows instantly that Cassie, and her mom Elizabeth, are his to claim, but he needs to find and save them from the bad men first.

Elizabeth escaped her good-for-nothing ex, but has been on the run for two years from the sadistic man who killed her ex in front of her daughter, Cassie. Cassie, with the aid of her invisible fairy friend, reaches out to Dash and is convinced he’ll help rescue them from the evil haunting her mother and her.

Going back in time (for me) to near the beginning, it was a fun look to see how things have progressed and changed in the Breeds series over the course of several years. I like how simple this early story is. Dash knows who/what he is, but doesn’t know about the mating issues for Breeds. He knows Elizabeth is his mate. She’s strong, and he respects that - recognizing she would need to match him and be his equal in order to fight along side of him. He is alpha, but not as much of an asshole as many of the Breeds are later in the series.

I love how tough the young Elizabeth is. She’s very weary of Dash, but knows that he’s their only hope, right now. She will do what it takes to keep her daughter alive. As the pair spend time together, they don’t fight their growing attraction and fall head-over-heels for one another. Their journey to HEA is relatively smooth, and I like that they don’t fight the mutual pull.

In the end, I enjoyed going back to the beginning. I didn’t read the original version (although I own it), so I can’t tell you what was edited or changed in this version. It follows the formulaic plots from the earlier/mid series books. The Mating Heat is still unknown and isn’t nearly as strong, and with far fewer symptoms/side effects, than later in the series. I like that Dash and Elizabeth are more equals and they work together.

For newcomers to the series - it’s an easy place to start since it is only book #3, but for fans of the series, it’s fun to go back and see how it all started before we FINALLY get Cassie’s book (although from the excerpt, I found myself a bit annoyed with her attitude.)

The series was my crack at one point, and if the author had continued to keep the books a bit more straightforward and clean, like this one, I probably would still be sucked in.

My Rating:  B, Liked It

Originally posted on That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by publisher/Netgalley