Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Terminal Alliance: Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse Series, Book 1
Tantor Audio, Jim C. Hines, Rebecca Mitchell
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Bound By Rebellion

Bound  By Rebellion (Blood-Vine 2) - Christa Paige When we first meet Kat and Luke, we discover that they are separated and Kat is ready to move on. In the beginning, we find out that Kat must maintain a “relationship” with her estranged mate so that he can survive (needs her blood) and she can stay young. She convinces herself (and me) that it is an awful arrangement. But as I read on, I realized that Kat was also a spoiled brat.

In comes Daniel: handsome co-worker and Kat’s prospective romance. She hasn’t been out with anyone since Luke and is finally ready to take that chance. Immediately we know that something isn’t quite right with Daniel, and I enjoyed trying to figure out what it was (and how Luke would figure it out).

The first thing I noticed about Ms. Paige’s work was the exquisite detail she pours into her story. From beginning to end, each scene was thoroughly described, but not over done. Here is an example:

Sprawled out on a butter-soft, overstuffed, dark leather couch, he flipped on his bigscreen plasma TV. The fifty-two inch monstrosity hung on the wall directly across from the L-shaped sofa. Underneath the television, a black lacquered entertainment center held speakers, game consoles and a vast selection of DVDs.

I loved that I was able to visualize the surroundings, and this enhanced my reading immensely.

I was also impressed with the character development in Bound by Rebellion. Usually, I am frustrated by the expedience with which a character changes in shorter books (novella-length); however, Ms. Paige has written full and interesting characters that grabbed my attention and left me satisfied.

The romance between Kat and Luke is hot and sexy! We get “just the two of them” for roughly the last third of the story and the time is largely well spent. There is an emotional shower scene that left me a bit misty-eyed, but also feeling a tad over-heated *wink*. My biggest complaint was that while reading from Luke’s POV, we are constantly reminded that he was “holding back his need” for Kat. It became redundant and put a damper on some of the sexiness.

There were a few other personality issues I had with Kat - or more concerns about how “easily” she seemed to forget and move on (I can’t give details without putting in spoilers). At times, I felt the 180-turn in her feelings for Luke from the beginning of the story were too radical. However, in the end, almost all of my issues were addressed, which made me a happy girl.

The novella leaves an open door for more stories to come (Luke has some handsome brothers waiting in the wings), and I will for one will be reading any subsequent books. This was an enjoyable, sexy read with the right mix of action and romance.

My Rating: #4 stars.