Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
After Dark: The Darkest Angel/Shadow Hunter - Gena Showalter, Kait Ballenger My Rating:3.5 stars: Liked it - recommend (B+)
Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
I received a copy of this book for review from the author

Note: The Darkest Angel was originally released as part of the Heart of Darkness Anthology, published by Harlequin in December 2009. I did not read the story at this time; however, I read and reviewed the book on GoodReads in January 2010, and this was my review:

The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter
This is a fabulous tale set in Gena's Lords of the Underworld series. The primary characters are Lysander, a heavenly angel, and Bianka, a wicked Harpy. We met Bianka in a previous novel. Their story is fun! The romance is wonderful, and the novella sets up some of the story line for the next novel. This is a must read for any Lord fans.
My Rating: 4 stars

Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger
The Execution Underground is an elite group of genetically enhance humans trained to track and kill all things supernatural. Upon acceptance into EU, each hunter is given a serum injection that gives longer life and increased strength and healing abilities. Damon is a hunter for EU, determined to kill the evil vampire Caius in revenge over the death of fellow hunter and best friend, Mark.

Tiffany Solow is working undercover as a (blood) Host for Caius. She is the baby sister of Mark, and like Damon, she is determined to destroy Caius for his roll in Mark's death. She also blames Mark's best friend, only known as "B" to her, for his death because B left Mark during battle to hunt down vampires. B (aka Damon) and Tiffany have a history as letter-writing friends who have fallen for one another, even though they've never met.

Shadow Hunter opens with a bang and the action rarely slows down. Although both Damon and Tiffany are focused on bringing down Caius, there is a big mystery concerning what appears to be new behavior from vampires. The story really picks up as the mystery becomes more involved and complex, creating an engrossing tale.

Damon and Tiffany experience immediate lust and a deep attraction for one another. The heat between the pair is smokin. However, I did get briefly annoyed that Damon kept reminding himself that Tiffany is Mark's little sister, and therefore, he should leave her alone. Luckily, his desire for Tiffany overrides his sense of honor for his friendship with Mark, and the pair give into their passion. Also, I was frustrated that Damon keeps the truth of his identity, and later what happened to Mark, from Tiffany.

One thing I enjoyed about Twilight Hunter is that this PNR is about humans falling in love, and all of the paranormals are bad guys. That doesn't happen much any longer. It is a refreshing change of pace.

I do feel it necessary to warn readers, without spilling spoilers, that Twilight Hunter has a HUGE cliffhanger at the end of the book. The story didn't finish, and that is such a huge pet peeve of mine, especially since this is listed as a PNR (paranormal romance). The entire story was well-developed, especially for the shortened length; however, the ending felt like a nightmarish Urban Fantasy (UF).

Bottom line... Although there was a lot of information presented in the front end of the book, overall the story read smoothly, the romance was well-developed, and the action was exciting. The initial tension between Tiffany and Damon was fun to read. However, the book ended with too much unresolved for my liking, and I sincerely hope issues get wrapped up quickly.*
My Rating: 3 Stars

*I had the chance to correspond with the author about how this book ended, and I am happy to report that subsequent books in this series will have traditional paranormal romance HEA endings. She also told me that Damon and Tiffany will have a book in the future.