Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Mercy Blade: Jane Yellowrock, Book 3
Audible Studios, Faith Hunter, Khristine Hvam
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Rising Darkness - Thea Harrison My Rating: 2.5 stars: Finished it - take it or leave it (C)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2013/04/review-rising-darkness-by-thea-harrison.html

Rising Darkness unfolds slowly, giving the reader different point-of-views and sides to the same story. We learn about our heroine, Mary, our hero, Michael and meet “Grandmother,” along with a few humans who know some of the secrets hidden among the naive population of Earth. I was a bit confused for a while, trying to piece together all of the sections and understand what had happened in the past and what it meant for this book. Although the story is revealed gradually, it is mostly necessary to convey the rather involved backstory and history of Michael, Mary and their companions. As the story progresses and the reader becomes more familiar with the nuances of the tale, the pace picks up a bit.

Overall the mythology behind the Game of Shadows series is interesting and unique. However, this first story dragged on for most of the book. While there was need to relate an intricate backstory to the reader, at times it was too confusing and/or not able to hold my interest. Mary and Michael had little emotional connection for the majority of the book; although they did manage to create a small spark closer to the end of the story. In addition, I was not satisfied with the conclusion of Rising Darkness. It’s not a cliffhanger per se, but it sort of just ended at a “break in the action,” and the journey is far from over. I just never could fully care about the characters, even though I liked the premise.