Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Terminal Alliance: Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse Series, Book 1
Tantor Audio, Jim C. Hines, Rebecca Mitchell
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
NightDrake - Lara Adrian Note: This is a free ebook short story, provided by the author via book seller websites. I got the Kindle version, and this very short story ended at the 51% mark of the book.

NightDrake is set roughly 300 years in the future, after a natural disaster created a problem with Earth's axis. The future world is populated by humans and The Strange (paranormal). It reminded me of the cartoon Thundarr the Barbarian!

The story is told in the first person POV of Nisha the Merc. Nisha will do whatever it takes to survive and make a dollar. Her family was killed when she was younger, and she is extremely bigoted against the Strange. In this story, Nisha is contracted to pick up a package and make a delivery. Seems straight forward, until she realizes that the package contains a living creature.

Although the instructions say not to let the package get wet, Nisha pulls a move straight from the movie Gremlins and attempts to give water to the man/being in the crate. Well, as you can imagine, her captive is set free.

Nisha makes the decision to help Drakor escape, and the pair continue on a path towards freedom. It was hard for me to buy Nisha's 180-turn from hating Strange to helping Drakor. Not only that, but he claims he loves her after being together for maybe 24 hrs and one hot romp in the sack?!

In addition, near the end of the tale, Nisha finds out that her past isn't what she thought and learns a huge secret about herself. It was a little too quick and didn't sit right with me without the space and time needed to adjust to the changes.

Overall, the premise behind the story is fun and would probably make an exciting longer-length book. Unfortunately, there just wasn't time for character development or the space to foster an emotional connection. However, the descriptive detail is excellent and the mythology entertaining. It is a free read, and in the end, it's enjoyable.