Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
The Inventor - Theresa Meyers My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)
Originally Posted: http://www.twimom227.com/2013/01/review-inventor-by-theresa-meyers.html

For those of us that read The Legend Chronicles series by Theresa Meyers, we know and love grouchy ol’ Marley: genius inventor extraordinaire. He is friend to the Winn Brothers (the men of legend fighting the evil Darken), but lives alone. He has a mysterious past, one hinted full of lost love and sadness. The Inventor is a prequel set several years before the beginning of the series and can be read at any time. There are no series spoilers in this novella.

The short story takes place in London, 1868, and opens with Marley working on his latest invention. He hopes to impress the Queen and be invited to join the prestigious Aeronautical Society of Great Britain. While stumped trying to work out a kink in his inventions, the lovely Lady Persephone Hargrieve sits down and starts tinkering (with his permission). Marley is immediately taken with Sephie and hopes to court her, even though she is daughter of Lord Hargrieve and above his station.

Lord Hargrieve is impressed with Marley and invites him to his home to discuss a project. It is here that Marley learns the true nature of Lord Hargrieve’s work: he fights the things that go bump in the night, the Darken. Marley is overcome with the knowledge that demons, vampires and other beings exist, and quickly becomes wrapped up in the dangerous life.

Overall, The Inventor is an enjoyable tale, a short story that gives a very small insight into Marley’s past. It is entertaining for both readers and new-comers to The Legend Chronicles. Marley is an amusing character, and I want to know more. His relationship with Sephie is sweet and romantic, and appropriately chaste for the setting.

However, the story left so much still unknown and unsaid, which was frustrating for me as someone who knows what becomes of Marley! If you read the series, you know that things go wrong at some point, and I had hoped this novella would have shared the entire story of Marley’s past.

With that said, The Inventor is a delightful tale centered on beginnings of a sweet love story. It can be read prior to reading the series, or at any time in between. Readers get a great taste of Marley’s gadgets and of what is to come.