Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Coveted - Shawntelle Madison My Rating: 3 stars: Liked it, but I had some issues - recommend (B)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/10/review-coveted-by-shawntelle-madison.html

I’m going to say right up front that I am very conflicted about Coveted. At times I absolutely enjoyed the story, Nat, and several of the side characters. However, at other times I was annoyed by the direction of the plot, the actions of some of the characters, and well, I did not care for Thorn at all. About halfway through the book I wrote a note to myself: This book is like a train wreck. Nothing is going right, but I can't take my eyes off. I keep waiting for things to turn around for Nat. And although the storyline did pick up, I still feel like it was too little, too late.

Nat... What do I say about dear Nat? At times I adored her. I actually LOVE that she is a flawed heroine. Her OCD nature is fun, and also gives a framework for emotional drama while providing room for her to grow and mature. However, while I enjoy when a heroine who isn't perfect or strong, Nat had very little self-respect. She lets everyone treat her like crap, to include her family. It's hard to cheer for a character that doesn't cheer for herself.

I am not a fan of Thorn. First, he left Nat to move across country, and he never once checked in as her life fell apart. Then he pops back into town, and he still apparently crazy for her. He continually ran to her side each time she was attacked by the Long Island Pack, practically swooning over her as he cuddled her and made sure she was safe. Yet if she returned any of his affection, Thorn would coldly remind her that he is engaged to another. Ass. I just couldn’t stand him by the end of the book, and if there is to be any sort of future connection, I will need a lot more convincing in the next book.

Overall Coveted was a decent book. There were some good to great exchanges and scenes, yet at other times I felt something was missing. In particular, there were a couple situations where something fairly big would happen, I’d wonder what happened, only to never have it brought up again. There were some minor plotlines that felt like fluff - only there to add drama. The book is definitely urban fantasy, but it's pretty light for UF, I dubbed it “UF chick lit.”

In general, Nat's character is agreeable, and although I was not happy with how she was treated or how she treated herself through most of the book, she had redeeming qualities. I was glad to see Nat moving forward towards the end of the book. I liked Aggie, the support group and her grandma, but didn't care for most of her family. I also didn't like Thorn or his father, and I wondered how such a jerk could be alpha! I felt the majority of the fight scenes were too short and anti-climatic. Despite all of that, the story was easy to read, and had a quick pace. Even with its flaws, I couldn’t put down Coveted and am looking forward to reading the next installment.