Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Wrayth - Philippa Ballantine My Rating: 4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend (A)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/09/review-wrayth-by-phillipa-ballatine.html

Welcome back to Ms. Ballantine’s amazing world of Arykham. It’s been two months since the explosive ending to Spectyr, the second Book of the Order. We discover that our heroine Sorcha has been in a catatonic state since those events, only able to move her eyes and push emotions through the bond with her Sensitive partner, Merrick. The opening of the story is full of immediate and intense action. There is no learning curve in Wrayth, and because of this, I highly recommend reading the first two books before jumping into this one.

The primary storylines find our three heroes each fighting their own battles. In order to be revived from her comatose condition, Sorcha makes a deal with a geistlord that leaves her (and the reader) a bit uncomfortable (you know it's going to come back and bite her in the rear!). Raed has been captured by another geistlord, the Wrayth (think creepy version of Star Trek TNG Borg), and he has struck a bargain with the Rossin (the geistlord that shares his body) so that they can work together to survive. Finally, Merrick discovers that a very dangerous man has the ear of the Emperor, but before he can warn anyone is accused of kidnapping the Grand Duchess. I will tell you that for much of the book I felt hopeless. Yet, this is a good thing! I was so caught up in the storylines that I empathized with the character’s plights. I was extremely nervous almost the entire time, and couldn’t put the book down.

The continued character development is so satisfying, and probably the best thing about this series. Starting with the first Book of the Order, the characters and their relationships have always been the heart of these books, endearing themselves and this series to me. They have all gone through so much, with each step adding to the whole. In Wrayth we learn more about Sorcha’s mysterious past, which is exciting in its own right. However, it’s Sorcha’s fortitude and how she reacts to the situations that allow her character to shine. Similarly, observing Raed and the Rossin in action together as they make “deals with the devil,” allows both halves of this man to stretch and grow. Just when you think that maybe Raed has figured out how to live with the Rossin, Ms. Ballantine tosses in a twist that has me worried for Raed. Finally, Merrick, the novice Sensitive takes center stage in Wrayth as her learns he can stand on his own two feet without Sorcha to protect and guide him.

In conclusion, there is just so much to love about Wrayth, especially for fans of the series. The action is intense, with a step up in suspense and intrigue. The character development progresses by leaps and bounds. Finally, the overall story arc is peaking, and with only one book left in this series, let me assure you that you will be itching for its release the moment you finish reading Wrayth.