Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Rewritten (The Bound Series Book 8)
Bronwyn Green
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Magic Gone Wild - Judi Fennell My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/08/review-magic-gone-wild-by-judi-fennell.html

Right from the get go, Magic Gone Wild has a different feel than the first two books. Genie Nirvana (aka Vana) has been trapped in her bottle for over a hundred years after the death of her former master, Peter. We learn right away that Vana has a huge heart, but just can’t seem to get her magic working correctly. She makes simple mistakes, such as vanishing the stairs when she intended to varnish the stairs. These mistakes give Vana an endearing quality that Peter’s great-grandson, Zane, can’t overlook. Both Vana and Zane are genuinely good people, which makes the pair such a lovable duo. You want to see the two lonely, kind hearts find happiness together. They have an incredible attraction.

Other than the primary couple, there is a conflict with Gary, a jealous high school mate of Zane, who wants Vana and magic for selfish reasons. He adds just enough conflict to the story to create an exciting tension, but not overrun the plot. Also, we have Merlin, the talking Phoenix, who functions as a way to get information to the pair (knowledge of the Genie world to Zane, knowledge of Gary's nefarious activities to the pair, etc.) He also provides some humor and at times acts as Vana's conscious.

One thing that was new in this story was the concept of the Fates. Vana messes with the three Fates by changing time not once but twice. And in the end, when Vana wants to come clean and open up to Zane (because she realizes she loves him), the Fates interfere. I was left wondering why the Fates are so interested in Vana, especially since we haven’t seen them interfere with other genies in the previous books. Whether or not it happened in earlier books doesn’t impact this story, and I enjoyed how Vana handles herself when threatened by these women.

Overall, I adored Magic Gone Wild and it’s charming characters - probably the most of the three Bottled Magic books. It had a different tone than the other two and can most certainly be read as a stand alone. I wasn’t a hundred percent on board with why Vana's magic is so messed up, but in the end it doesn't matter since when a Genie says "I love you," she gives up her magic. The book doesn't spend a lot of time in the world of the Genies and focuses more on the love story between Vana and Zane. We witness the pair spend time getting to know each other as they make their own magic. Magic Gone Wild is a romantic love story with a generous dose of laughs that warmed my heart.