Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Love Me By Christmas
Jaci Burton
The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms) (Volume 3)
Jeffe Kennedy
Roomies
Christina Lauren
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Gunmetal Magic -  Ilona Andrews My Rating:5 stars: Personal favorite - a must read (A+)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/07/review-gunmetal-magic-by-ilona-andrews.html

When I found out that Ilona Andrews was going to write a book in her Kate Daniels series from the POV of Kate’s best friend, Andrea, I was SOOOOO excited. Andrea and Raphael were my introduction to the Kate Daniels world via the novella, “Magic Mourns” found in the anthology Must Love Hellhounds. I’ve held a soft spot in my heart for the couple since the start, and boy have they had some tough times lately.

Gunmetal Magic has two primary tales to tell. First (and foremost for me) is the story of Andrea and Raphael. They are in a very low place, and the book chronicles their efforts to work through the pain and find a happy place-whether together or alone. Second, the book outlines a mystery to be solved. Raphael’s reclamation company is working a building when four shifters are killed. Pack security hires Andrea to find out what happened. Unfortunately, the murders appear to be related to some deadly supernatural beings no one has seen before - and someone will stop for nothing to possess Andrea.

Once again, I find that the writing team of Ilona Andrews has created a story full of of wit, sarcasm, action, friendship, love, and put it all together with amazing detail and description. Yet the weight of the world-building details never bogs down the plot. The flow of the story is seamless; each scene building upon the last. Their ability to create such a richly detailed world will draw you in and not let go.

At the heart of this book is the story of Andrea and Raphael. Forced to work together after things have fallen apart, their love story is woven into the plot and around the murder mystery perfectly. Andrea is hurting beyond words, and her pain reaches the depths of my soul, causing more than a few tears during the book. She is tough and struggles to find her place in her new, post-Order world. Her fierceness is incredible, and she rivals Kate for the best “kiss-a$$ chick.”

For long-time fans of the series, Kate, Curran, Doolittle, Jim, Aunt B and others all play rolls in this book. By far, my favorite side character is Roman, the black volhv (think dark priest with magical abilities.) Roman was first introduced in Magic Slays when the Pack needed to disarm an anti-magic bomb. His humor is the ideal contrast to the severity of the situation. I hope to see more of Roman in upcoming novels.

Gunmetal Magic is an amazing story and wonderful addition to the Kate Daniels series. Andrea and Raphael go through so much and just when you want to scream, kick and cry, the world turns out okay. But the things that happen are not contrived. Every detail, whether painful or joyous, is honest and exciting. The book takes you to highs and lows. It is pretty perfect in that way. The story flowed and action never stopped. It rocked my emotions and warmed my heart.