Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Holiday Wishes
Jill Shalvis
The Trouble with Twelfth Grave: A Novel
Darynda Jones, -Macmillan Audio-, Lorelei King
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
The Darkest Day - Britt Bury My Rating: 4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend (A)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/07/review-darkest-day-by-britt-bury.html

The opening of The Darkest Day was reminiscent of the movie, The Highlander.... Immortals fighting on a Scottish countryside. However, the flavor of the book altered quickly when I discovered that the heroine is the last remaining full human. In present day Earth, humans are extinct and Izel Campbell, heir of the Campbell Fionns, just discovered at age 25 that she is not a Fionn, but actually a full-blooded human. I love this twist. The opening few chapters are intriguing, a wonderful new mythology that had me racing to read more.

Ms. Bury's world is full of different immortal species, some of which are only mentioned in passing, but others such as the Fionns and Pookahs, are discusses in detail. Our hero, Kelvin Kerr is a Razorback Pookah, not a shifter, but a humanoid immortal that has animal "essence" as part of his being. The Kerr Clan (all Pookahs) and Campbell Clan (mystical Fionns) have been at war for over a century.

Together, the pair is combustable. Kel and Izel are not opposites, but rather two different ends of the same wick - burning towards the center where they collide with explosive force. Every encounter they have is so passionate-beyond desire and into need. It's easy to get swept up in their developing relationship. And HOLY HOTNESS!! Just Wowza! Their smexy time is sensual and lustful. And it’s not just passion and lust... the emotional growth and raw feelings the two experience are powerful.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed The Darkest Day and eagerly await the next book. Ms. Bury has created a world full of adventure, excitement and romance. I fell for Kel and Izel from their first exchange, and their passion kept me engaged and engrossed. The plot and her mythology had a comfortable feeling, yet it is unique and exciting. Although I felt the ending was a little tidy, it didn’t detract from my enjoyment. Ms. Bury's debut is a must read for paranormal romance fans!