Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

A Shot at Love (Will Cook for Love)
Peggy Jaeger
The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Heart of the Incubus - Rosalie Lario My Rating:3.5 stars: Liked it a lot - recommend (B+)

The story opens with Incubus demon, Cresso admitting to himself that he’d done the unthinkable - he’s fallen in love. Unfortunately for him, the object of his desire human scientist, Genevieve, wants nothing to do with him. Cresso and Gen work together at Elcorp Laboratory, where they find cures and treatments for different demon species. (Side note: Incubus demons emit a toxin during sex that will kill any creature not of their own species. Elcorp has developed an immunization so that Incubus demons can safely have sex with humans.) Gen, knowing Cresso must have sex to survive -- and that he is a notorious playboy -- refuses to give in to her attraction to Cresso. However, when Gen’s life is threatened by a mysterious stalker, she turns to Cresso and a friendship develops.

I jumped into Heart of the Incubus without any prior knowledge of the series nor expectations of what would happen. I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Lario’s novella. The story was fun and different from anything I’ve read in recent history. Although there are familiar elements - heroine hating hero after being hurt in her past, strong heroine taking solace in arms of hero, etc. - the mythology is clever and interesting. Ms. Lario does an excellent job bring a newbie like me up to speed and giving me enough details to feel comfortable without over-burdening me with minutia.

What I noticed immediately is that Ms. Lario has an excellent grasp of creating a scene. She provides amazing descriptive details, while working them in seamlessly into the plot. The story opens so crisp and sharp... I felt like I was there in the lab.

Both Cresso and Gen are fairly predictable characters, but that doesn’t make them boring. His need to protect, their mutual internal conflicts over “should I or shouldn’t I?”, her self-doubt and anger... they flow together and kept me reading. And just when I started getting tired with some of the drama, Ms. Lario moves on. Well done!

Overall Heart of the Incubus is a very pleasant and sexy story. The tempo stayed fairly fast-paced, and there was a bit of a suspenseful whodunit. I enjoyed the characters, especially their inner monologues and the romance. I definitely would like to check out more of the Demons of Infernum Series books.