Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

When I Need You
Lorelei James
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Head Rush - Carolyn Crane My Rating:5 stars: Personal favorite - a must read (A+)
Full review at: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/03/review-head-rush.html

Disclaimer: I don't know how to write a review of Head Rush without giving spoilers from the first two books. SO... if you haven’t read the previous two books of the Distillusionists Trilogy, go back and start with Mind Games. NOW!

*WARNING: Spoilers from book 2*

Head Rush opens with Justine settling into her life with Midcity Mayor, Otto Sanchez, her ideal man, and the two will be married soon. This is what (she thinks) she's always wanted. Otto is handsome and strong, and most importantly he is stable and safe. Justine still cannot believe that Packard killed Shelby's boyfriend, Avery. She hates Packard, but when he shows up secretly to talk with her, she cannot help the urge to protect him. She begins to notice things just aren't adding up.

For the first half of the book I was on edge! Would Justine find out the truth before it’s too late? Would her friends stop acting so strange? Would Midcity be safe again? Plus I was so frustrated with Justine. I understand that a revision changes the person, but she knew things were off, and she still refused to consider that she was revised.

It is Carolyn Crane's ability to create characters I care about and how she got me inside Justine, that makes this series, and Head Rush in particular, so amazing. I've never read a first person narrative where I have felt so connected to the character. I swear, I experienced everything Justine did-every emotion, sensation, fear and pain.

This book has some highly emotion and very touching scenes. Scenes of this caliber are what makes this book a 5 Star -- A+ book (and one of my all time favorites). Of course, knowing its life and death for Justine can make almost anything more powerful. There are scenes with her true love Packard, a scene when she says goodbye to Otto, interactions with best friend Shelby and even scenes with her dad, whom we'd never met before. Each of these are spectacular moments. Here is one interchange with her dad that had me in tears. It is such a tender moment, and just what Justine needed to hear.

“I haven’t been the model father,” Dad says. “I taught you all the wrong lessons, none of the right ones. But you’ve grown into a beautiful, brave young woman in spite of me--”

*sigh* This was the perfect end to an amazing series. I am content. Head Rush had everything that made the first two books great plus more. I am still crying... Tears of joy because I have grown to love these characters and tears of sadness because I did not want it to end. The plot was perfect... Twists and turns in just the right places. Love conquering all. Suspense keeping me glued to the pages.