Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter The story focuses on Amun and Haidee, learning about one another and growing closer as they journey through Hell. They both are immediately drawn to one another and don’t shut out the possibility of a relationship - although each does try to “protect” the other by staying away (Amun more so than Haidee). I liked that the two are connected from past events, which caused Haidee to dream of Amun for years. This gave her the confidence needed to be with him, even though they are long-time enemies. Their passion does sizzle (much more than the last story’s couple!) and the smex is pretty smokin’ at times.

Although this story belongs to Amun and Haidee, fellow Lord, Strider has a pivotal role as well (and his book, The Darkest Surrender, is coming next). He is inhabited by the demon Defeat and doesn’t like that Haidee prefers Amun. We see a lot of the story from his point-of-view, and we also get to know his future mate. I enjoyed Strider’s pieces of the story almost more so than Amun’s. He experiences strong, conflicting emotions which add a lot of depth to the story.

Overall this is another good edition to one of my favorite series. It is definitely a step up from The Darkest Lie http://twimom227.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-of-darkest-lie.html (which in retrospect, I should have rated a 3), but still doesn’t have the same gripping action and emotional impact as the first 5 books. However, even with my concerns, I still enjoyed the story and felt Amun and Haidee are a good pairing. It is a must-read for all LotU fans!

For my FULL REVIEW, please visit my blog at: http://twimom227.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-darkest-secret.html

My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it a lot - recommend (B+)