Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Harvest Moon - Mercedes Lackey, Michelle Sagara West, Cameron Haley NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR "A Tangled Web" by Mercedes Lackey ONLY:

This is an interesting and fun re-telling of the famous Persephone and Hades tale from Greek Mythology. In this story, Persephone and Hades are in love and try to find a way to be together. Hades sends Thanatos, the god of Death, to “kidnap” Persephone and bring her to the underworld-reasoning that her mother, Demeter, could not take her away if “death” claimed her. Well, unfortunately, Thanatos claims the wrong goddess which causes plenty of grief for everyone.

While the story was simple, cleaver and cute, it was tough to follow. I know a little Greek mythology and no Norse mythology - both of which are prominent in this story. Names are tossed around and situations inferred as if I should have an understanding of it all. I felt completely lost at times, especially at the beginning.

Although I never fully overcame some of the confusion, I still enjoyed the tale. Ms. Lackey’s portrayal of the Greek gods is entertaining and refreshing... They are still self-involved, but more simple and oafish than their usual vindictive depictions. The Norse goddess Brunnhilde and her husband Prince Leopold are a welcome addition to the tale. They are logic and order to the chaos of Olympus when Persephone (and Brunnhilde) are taken to the underworld.

This is an enjoyable story.
My Rating:
3 Stars
Liked it, there were a few issues - recommend (B)