Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Chasing Destiny (Silver Tip Pack Book 2)
Megan Erickson
The Silver Skull: The Elemental Web Chronicles, Book 2
Henrietta Meire, Anne Renwick, Tantor Audio
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Magic at the Gate - Devon Monk NOTE: I have not read the first four books in this series.

At first, not having read the first four books didn’t bother me - the action was exciting and plot was pretty interesting. I didn’t feel lost and could infer the meaning of most of the magical terminology. I loved Allie right from page one... she is snarky and sharp. She doesn’t take crap from her dad or anyone else. And although Zay wasn’t awake from most of this book, I got a sense of the love these two Soul Compliments share.

But as the story reached its climatic scenes, I noticed an emotional void within myself. The battles were intense, but at the pinnacle, when I should have cared more, I just didn’t. I think it’s because I didn’t know many of the characters. I learned to care about a few - Allie and her lover, Zay, friends Mauve, Victor, Shame & Terric. But the dozen or so others were just names to me. In addition, some of the complex politics of the Authority and magic users started to weigh down on me. This is where I think I may have enjoyed the story more if I had read the first four books, and I’d be interested in hearing from those that have read the series.

Magic at the Gate is typical of the Urban Fantasy genre: an exciting story that is left open for the next book. The Authority found some answers, but there is so much more going on... The “HOW” may have been answered, but the “WHY” and “what does it all mean?” questions remain. Who is good and who is bad? What is good/bad? I enjoyed the book and look forward to Ms. Monk’s next installment of Allie Beckstrom.

My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it a lot - recommend (B+)

For my full review please visit my blog at http://twimom227.blogspot.com on Friday Nov. 5, 2010.