Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1
Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Lion's Heat - Lora Leigh I’ve been waiting for this book for a long time now. I started reading this series with the first book published by Berkley - Megan’s Mark. I don’t know about the books prior to that one, but since that point, Jonas has been a manipulating leader of the Breeds. It was great to see him buckle and just plain “lose it” in this book.

Jonas has always controlled his own life and the lives of countless Breeds around him. He continues to try and stay in control even though he is forced to hire his own mate as a personal assistant. She is just the woman to work for Jonas - she can stand up to him and put him in his place. But she is not aware that she is Jonas’s destined mate. I enjoyed reading how Jonas had to continually fight the urge to take his mate. It warmed my heart that Jonas put Rachel and her child above his own health and needs so that Rachel would be comfortable and find love in her own way. This is VERY different than the prior Breeds’ books.

As always with Ms. Leigh’s books, the sex is hot and passionate. The sex scenes go on for pages and can be graphic at times. But either I am getting used to them or these sex scenes were a bit tame compared to ones in the earlier books.

The overall Breeds story arc took some interesting twists. I think my favorite parts in this book were those that carried on the mythology of the Breeds and their battle for peace and safety. In addition, Ms. Leigh tossed in some new curveballs and unanswered questions. These unresolved issues will bring me back to the next story - regardless of who the main couple will be.
On the negative side: I did notice that there were several repetitive phases and terms used throughout the book. I don’t know if it’s lazy writing or bad editing, but it was a bit annoying to me. I found that I started skimming longer sections that just kind of repeated an earlier section of the book.

Overall, Lion’s Heat is a must read for Breeds fans. If you are new to the series I highly recommend NOT starting with this book. You will lose a lot of important background story. If you can find the earliest books, then start at the beginning. If not, you can start at Megan’s Mark like I did. (See note at beginning of post regarding reading order.)

My Rating: 3.5 stars.