Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Chasing Destiny (Silver Tip Pack Book 2)
Megan Erickson
The Silver Skull: The Elemental Web Chronicles, Book 2
Henrietta Meire, Anne Renwick, Tantor Audio
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Eve of Samhain (The Hanaford Park Series, 1) - Lisa Sanchez Ryann works hard to put herself through school and it seems like she doesn’t have much time for a social life. She is required to wear a “Hooters” type outfit for her waitressing job and gets an earful from drunken patrons from time to time. In walks mysterious Quinn. Ryann’s body responds immediately, but Quinn’s personality left little for Ryann to desire. This relationship starts with the typical “I can’t stand him, but I want him” storyline. Quickly Quinn and Ryann develop a friendship of sorts and she finds out that he is actually an Irish Faery. We also learn that there is an evil “presence” stalking Ryann, and Quinn is determined to keep her safe.

This story is told in the first-person point-of-view of heroine, Ryann, which means we get only her side of the story and an insight into her feelings. This is not a detractor to the book, but it did cause a bit of frustration on my part. Due to this and Ryann’s poor body image, the first half of this book drove me a little nutty. I felt that Ryann lacked any confidence and positive self-image. The girl is 5’ 7” and ONLY 135 pounds, yet she finds that she’s not attractive and too heavy. [NOTE: Unrealistic and/or poor body/self image is a HUGE pet peeve of mine... So I won’t rant on this too much, but I’ll say it upsets me.]

In addition to this, she is constantly drooling over Quinn. This isn’t a bad thing, but with the first person POV, all the reader has to go on are Ryann’s never-ending gushes about Quinn’s looks. She is attracted to him, but I don’t get a good sense of her feelings, and the reader has no clue what Quinn feels. Due to this, there was little emotional impact on me. And at one point when Ryann confesses to herself that Quinn is the center of her universe, I found it pretty hard to believe - and the couple hadn’t even shared a kiss! Something truly evil is chasing Ryann, yet she plays “he likes me, he likes me not” games in her head. I wanted to shout... JUST TELL HIM!

However, everything changes when Ryann finally tells Quinn how she feels. The emotional outfall of this scene is superbly written and my investment in the couple increased tenfold. After this point, the rhythm of the story picks up and the action jumps off the pages. The details and descriptions are stimulating and satisfying. A particular favorite of mine is when Ryann enters Wiccan roommate, Martha’s room for the first time. The details are written so well that I am able to visualize the space and Martha so clearly, and I also get a fabulous sense of Ryann’s feelings about approaching Martha for help.

There are some completely touching moments between Ryann and Quinn that made my heart melt and my eyes mist up. I wanted the second part of the book to go on and on. The romance at the end is HOT and worth the wait.

For a book that started slow, it finished amazingly strong. Quinn and Ryann touched my heart and their story left me in a warm, fuzzy place. I am looking forward to Ms. Sanchez’s follow up story!

My Rating: #3 stars.