Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Book 6) (English Edition)
Philippa Ballantine, Jeanne H. Ballantine, William Morris
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %
Demon Blood - Meljean Brook I’m going to state up front that I LOVE the Guardian series. The mythology is interesting and unique, the story lines are exciting, the romance is sizzling, and Meljean does such an amazing job with character development that I am sad to say good-bye when I finish reading each story. Demon Blood is no exception to this.

Picking up where Demon Forged ended, we find Guardian Rosalia recovered from her “abduction” and back in her own territory fighting demons. She runs into vampire (and traitor) Deacon once night, 6 months after she saved his life. She begins to formulate a detailed plan that will get rid of several mutual enemies and begins to convince Deacon he needs to join her.

Immediately I was drawn to this couple. They each have a longing and ache to be with one another, but their individual and mutual pasts block the way. Their story is heartbreaking and I was routing for them to get together right away. And when I finally thought it was going to happen, my heart was ripped out. [MILD SPOILER:] In an intense scene that emotionally crushes both characters, Deacon assumes that Rosalia will allow him to sexually use her just to get him to help her with her plans. Oh, the drama! I was in tears for both characters.

But as much as I was cheering for Rosie and Deacon, I became a bit annoyed with their constant “misunderstandings” and his assumption that she would only use him, never love him. When Rosalia hints about her mutual past with Deacon, he immediately assumes she means some other man, even though the story matches his own life. I was relieved when FINALLY Rosalia walked away and said “no more.” (Relieved because it was action, but it broke my heart.) In the end, they do get their HEA (happily ever after), but it was a long road to travel. Even the ending that brings them together included yet another misunderstanding and more assumptions. That did taint their story a bit for me. However, their romance was smokin’, and Meljean continues to write some of the hottest smex scenes around.

I enjoyed the side stories as well - mostly seeing a Guardian as a parent. The story dealt with some bigger “life” issues that have not been discussed from a Guardian point-of-view before. The scenes between future daughter-in-law, Gemma, son, Vin, and Rosalia were excellent. I also enjoyed the progression of the overall story line with the nephil and demons. I missed seeing most of my favorite characters (including the lovely Savi and Colin), but I loved the focus on new Guardian, Taylor. I cannot wait to see where Meljean takes the story next.

My Rating: #4 stars.