Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1
Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Bite Me (London Undead)

Bite Me - P.J. Schnyder My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)
Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
I received a review copy of the book from the author.

Enjoyable, entertaining, fun! All words I use to describe Bite Me by PJ Schnyder. The first book in her new London Undead series sets the stage for what promises to be an interesting new series. The book describes a modern day London that is run down and desolate since a zombie epidemic started some time in the past, prior to the start of this story. The zombies are those from myth and legend - mindless, decaying creatures that seek out fresh "meat" in an endless quest to quench its hunger.

Left in London are those who didn't have enough money to escape before the quarantine, zombie-hunting "tourists" and those who profit from the "tourism." Somewhere along the way, werewolves also outed themselves to the humans. The werewolves work with the human police to help eradicate the zombies, as they are immune to the zombie virus and exceptionally strong.

Seth is the alpha of the local London wolf pack. He has an easy, unspoken relationship with the local constables, working in tandem to keep the streets safe. Under Seth, and one of his confidants, is Danny, a werewolf scientist trying to uncover what causes zombieism. While out on rounds one night, Seth comes across a captivating young woman, full of spirit, trying to save a family from some unusually fast and well-orchestrated zombies. After helping her with the rescue, Seth escorts Maisie to her clinic, where the pair become fast friends. They also indulge a bit in their immediate and intense attraction.

Bite Me focuses much of the story on the budding relationship between Seth and Maisie. Theirs is a passionate, yet sweet romance. Maisie was crippled in the past after a zombie attack, and her affliction brings out Seth’s need to protect and take care of her, even though he knows she is more than capable. At first it was sweet how much he wanted to help her, but I have to say, having Seth carry Maisie everywhere began to be a bit off-putting after a while. She is a grown women who can obviously hold her own and has balls made of steel. So why so much carrying?!

Regardless of Seth’s “pampering,” the pair share an intense attraction. They have that immediate "I need to rip all your clothes off and start sexing you up now" kind of powerful draw. Yet Seth remains the consummate gentlemen when he shows extraordinary restraint after Maisie gets him all worked up. I enjoyed their moments together - both the sweet and the sexy.

Wrapped around the love story is the mystery of why groups of zombies have become more systematic in their attacks. The wolves notice that instead of mindless creatures that feed as the opportunity presents itself, they are coordinating attack efforts and searching out prey. Trying to figure out the cause and who is masterminding the strikes, especially as it hits close to home for Maisie, adds a bit of thrill to the story.

All-in-all, Bite Me is a delightful story that hits all the important aspects I enjoy when reading: humor, a bit of intrigue, and a sweet romance with a bit of fire. Ms. Schnyder has created an interesting new world with hints of so much more to come. I look forward to finding out more about the werewolves, but also I want to know who is controlling the zombies and why. I strongly recommend this title for those looking for an entertaining new paranormal series.