Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Mercy Blade: Jane Yellowrock, Book 3
Audible Studios, Faith Hunter, Khristine Hvam
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery)

Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery #1) - Shirley Wells I want to tell you about this great mystery I just read... First of all, we have our hero, Dylan Scott. The poor man has had a bit of a tough run and we catch him trying to pull his life back to some normalcy. After being kicked off the police force and spending time in jail, his self-esteem and pride have taken a huge hit. His wife is tired of his attitude and kicks him out. Dylan’s chance to turn himself around falls to Holly Champion. He is contacted by Holly to find her missing mother and she persuades him by insisting he is the only one for the job. In order to repair some of the problems in his life, Dylan decides to take on the case, even though he is convinced that nothing good will come of it.

I like Dylan. He’s a good man. His investigative technics are not unusual, but he is so personable that he gets the information he needs from complete strangers. I enjoyed following him around as he searched for the truth. In addition, he is convinced that his wife, Bev, will see the errors of her ways and allow him back into the marital home. His ignorance of their problems, his honest desire to return home and his interactions with his son, Luke, helped shape Dylan and create a lovable character. I found myself pulling for this poor, deluded man the whole time. I shared his enthusiasm for his work and his desire to return home.

The mystery itself is captivating. The story pulled me in quickly, using multiple point-of-views to tell the tale. We are not only privy to Dylan’s thought-process, but we are able to see what the suspects and other players are up to with this very effective writing style. Each turn of events had me guessing and re-writing theories in my mind.

The side characters are also enjoyable. Dylan’s mom doesn’t make much of an appearance, but she is a hoot (or at least how she bothers Dylan is). Simple Stevie is one of those observant, mis-treated, pleasant characters that everyone overlooks except Dylan. And again, Dylan shines in his relationship with Stevie. All of the suspects are plausible and interesting. All-in-all, this is an enjoyable story!
My Rating:
4 Stars
Really enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)