Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Public Display of Affection (1 Night Stand Series)

Public Display of Affection (1 Night Stand Series) - Emily Cale My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it - recommend (B+)

Once again I find myself drawn to Decadent Publishing’s 1 Night Stand Series. In this go around, we meet Lucy, a woman feeling a bit down on her luck and waiting for the other shoe to drop. She was dumped by her girlfriend for another and lost her job. Deciding to try and do something about it, Lucy hires Madame Eve’s service to help her find a woman who will break her out of her vanilla world. And as always, Madame Eve delivers more than Lucy expected.

I was immediately drawn into the story from the beginning. Ms. Cale is able to capture Lucy’s raw emotions on page so that I too was nervous and second guessing Lucy’s decision to utilize the services Madame Eve offered. Although Lucy tells herself that she wants to move beyond her vanilla nature, I think she really wants to break free of her ex, Kristen.

After a short while, Sam shows up at Lucy’s hotel room and takes charge right away. She orders Lucy to put on a butterfly vibrator under her clothing and then takes her out for dessert at the hotel restaurant. What happens next is delicious! Using a remote control, Sam stimulates Lucy off and on while engaging in polite dinner conversation. I enjoyed equal parts of Sam’s excitement to control the situation and Lucy's mixed emotions over wanting to orgasm and fear of doing so in public. The well comprised scene was extremely enjoyable for all!

Although I felt the first part of the story was well written and exciting, the coherency of characters seemed to fall away after the first two chapters. At once point later, Lucy demands the remote for the vibrator, and she pushes Sam. For me, the burst of confidence and aggression felt too sudden. Behavior isn’t modified overnight. In addition, the Dominatrix-lite, Sam, suddenly is willing to step out of character and play submissive. Again, I felt these changes should take time to develop.

Overall, Public Display of Affection is an enjoyable story, but I feel it suffered in its short length. I became engrossed and hoped for more. The personality roll-reversal of the last chapter may have worked with more character development, but in the novella length it felt too drastic. With that said, the story has some tender and smexy moments which make it worth the read!