Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Chasing Destiny (Silver Tip Pack Book 2)
Megan Erickson
The Silver Skull: The Elemental Web Chronicles, Book 2
Henrietta Meire, Anne Renwick, Tantor Audio
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Return to the Sea

Return to the Sea - Rebecca Royce My Rating: 3 stars: Liked it, but I had some issues - recommend (B)

The story opens with Laneigh standing on a cruise ship, looking out into the ocean depths, knowing that Sylarus is near. When she feels her former lover magically appear behind her, she dreads facing him to tell him what’s been going on for the past decade while she has been banished to dry land. Laneigh is a mermaid and Sylarus’s father, King of the Mer people, has forbid Laneigh to return to the sea. What Sylarus doesn’t know is that it is slowly killing Laneigh, and that Sylarus is a father of a ten-year-old girl.

The two share a past and blame one another for the current situation. However, they still find a way to get past all of the resentment and pain to sex it up “one last time.” Of course it’s been ten lonely years for both - each remaining celibate since their separation. Once they “get a room,” their unbridled passion ignites and raw emotions flood freely into the open.

Return to the Sea is an enjoyable, entertaining read. The book is fun in all the right places and sexy enough to make me blush a little. The first half of the story rocked! I loved reading about Laneigh and Sylarus’s reunion and watching them release their past to make way for the future. They both take chances and it pays off.

However, once the pair returns to the sea with their newly transformed daughter, the story takes a turn. It isn’t bad, but I felt the political ramifications of what occurs and how it comes to be was a bit hokey and contrived.

In the end, the novella-length story is a good one, and I recommend giving it a go. After all, it’s Mer people and it’s smexy!