Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----

Blood Guard: A Mission Novel
Megan Erickson
Dune
Frank Herbert, Simon Vance
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search - Gene Luen Yang, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, Gurihiru

The original TV show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, is my favorite animated show of all time. I've watched each episode dozens of times and cherish the characters immensely. The newer TV show, Korra, while having some merits, cannot replicate the humor, camaraderie, and social grace of the original program. I tell you all of this because it plays heavily into my review of THE SEARCH.

For fans of the original show, finding out what happened to Zuko's mother was one of those nagging unanswered questions left when the show concluded after three seasons. I wanted answers, so the arrival of this graphic novel is a welcome sight.

I am happy to report that all my questions and more are answered in THE SEARCH. And I for one, am satisfied with the outcome. While Zuko's mom may have left for the right reasons, her actions aren't always admirable. But that's what makes this story and the original show so wonderful. The characters have flaws, yet the good ones find a way to overcome difficulties and carry on.

This story isn't for random readers. I feel it wouldn't have the same appeal as it would for fans of the series who have been waiting for some answers. I find the characters keep true to their original voices. I found that I have really missed Aang and his gang, and reading their adventures was exciting and fulfilling, which definitely improves the overall rating for me.

The story has a few twists and adds history to the universe. However, it also relies on scenes that were taken direct from some of the TV episodes. While some of the story was a little hokey, overall it kept with the spirit and intent of the original programming. All in all, I found it to be an enjoyable read.