Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1
Amber Cove Publishing, William Gibson, Jeffrey Kafer
Elizabeth's Wolf (A Novel of the Breeds)
Lora Leigh
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: In From the Cold by Tayrn Kincaid

In From the Cold (Sleepy Hollow) - Taryn Kincaid

My Rating:  B, Liked It

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by author.

Spokane Raines (Spook) is an undercover agent with mysterious group called The Company. He has no recollection of his past (and doesn’t know he’s a demon). Lately, the daily bump and grind of his spy life is wearing thin and he wants out. After seeing a photo of famous artist Max Raines and reaching out to Max via email, he finds out that he may have family in Sleepy Hollow.

Geneviève Mortimer (Genny) is a WOW - wil-o’-the-wisp working for POLO - Protector of the Legion of Shadows. She can lure evil demons with her inner light and send them to their death. Her parents were killed by demons, so she has no love for them, although she does have demon friends in Sleepy Hollow. Her latest target is Spook, but is immediately attracted to him with overpowering lust and cannot kill him. Leave it to Madame Eve to work her magic and put the two together for a 1Night Stand date.

In From the Cold is the latest 1Night Stand novella from the Sleepy Hollow series. The series features loosely related paranormal creatures with ties to Sleepy Hollow, each finding true love via the 1Night Stand agency. While In From the Cold can be read as a stand alone, a large part of the story wraps up some loose ends from prior stories.

I liked both characters, and together they have some great chemistry. Spook has fun, sarcastic humor, which had me laughing more than once. After the pair finally gets together, Spook turns extremely protective, which is part of the mating consequences, but his need to immediately go seek vengeance on Genny’s behalf without knowing anything about demons is a bit rash. It was such a drastic turn of events, I felt like I needed a little lead up to it.

The part of the story which brings together bits from prior novellas, as well as the backstory to why Genny’s parents died was confusing for me, with the introduction of too many new names. I did like that the author created closure for the couple, but I wish it had been better integrated into the story. Unfortunately, there is only so much one can do in a limited space.

In the end, I enjoyed In From the Cold. The ending is silly and cute, leaving me on a high note. The story is a good addition to the series, although it may suffer a little because of the limited space. Spook and Genny are sexy and hot, with some well-written, lusty smex scenes. It’s a fun read for a hot afternoon at the beach!