Twimom227

That's What I'm Talking About

A+  Personal Favorite (5 stars)
A    Loved It (4.5 or 5 stars)
A-   Enjoyed A Lot (4 or 4.5 stars)
B+  Liked It A Lot (4 stars)
B    Liked It -- Recommend (4 stars)
B-   Liked It -- But I had a few small issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C+  Liked It -- But I had issues (3 or 3.5 stars)
C    Finished It -- Liked some, didn't like some (3 stars)
C-   Finished It -- Liked a little, didn't like a lot (2 or 2.5 stars)
D    Not A Big Fan (2 stars)
E    Don’t Waste Your Time (1 star)
----
TW: Reading this book was like watching a Train Wreck
DNF: Did Not Finish

updated July 9, 2015

The Ghoul Vendetta: An SPI Files Novel
Audible Studios, Lisa Shearin, Johanna Parker
Rewritten (The Bound Series Book 8)
Bronwyn Green
Just You and Me (A Contemporary Romance Collection)
Bitter Bite: Elemental Assassin, Book 14
Audible Studios, Jennifer Estep, Lauren Fortgang
Progress: 27 %

Review: In the Devil's Nebula by Anna Hackett

In the Devil's Nebula (The Phoenix Adventures Book 2) - Anna Hackett

My Rating:  B+ Liked It A Lot

Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About

Review copy provided by author.

The treasure-hunting Phoenix brothers find themselves on an impossible hunt for an old earth (Terrain) artifact once again. Following the events from the first book, At Star’s End, the story begins with the trio of Phoenix brothers trying to figure out who keeps stealing their discoveries from under them. This leads them to Ria, an assassin with the Assassin Guild, who wants to do the impossible: leave the Guild. She implores the brothers and Dathan’s wife, Eos, to help her steal an artifact from the Guild so that she can use it to bargain for her freedom. However, Zayn, the youngest brother, only sees his former Wing Commander, Viktoria, in Ria’s face, convinced Ria is his lost comrade and the focus of his unrequited feelings left behind years ago. Now Zayn must put his past behind him if he hopes to heal his unseen wounds and move forward.

In the Devil’s Nebula is an enjoyable sci-fi romance, full of exciting adventure and a few twists and turns that give the story added depth. Zayn and Ria share an immediate attraction, but it is clouded because of Zayn’s memories of the woman he lost two years prior to their meeting. I appreciate that Zayn confronts Ria near the beginning of the book, rather than keeps his thoughts that Ria is really Vik to himself. Zayn’s struggles to see Ria as her own person, rather than the ghost of Vik, gives this story an emotional punch. I found myself sympathizing with both Ria and Zayn in what, at times, felt like an impossible situation.

Although the story is full of action and adventure, there are several more poignant moments. As the details of Zayn’s past come to light, I found myself moved by some of the powerful scenes. In addition, Ria’s history isn’t so peachy, either. As Ria gets closer to the freedom she so desperately craves, her options become reduced. Together with Zayn, she discovers a horrific coverup, creating internal turmoil that threatens more than her own life. These more difficult scenes give In the Devil’s Nebula added depth, creating a fuller, richer story.

The action and adventure make In the Devil’s Nebula a fun read. However, I was confused at first (which required a reread) on what exactly Ria planned to do to gain her freedom. I also felt it was not the best course of action to take, but the author does a good job telling the story and spinning in some wonderful glitches and twists, which kept me on my toes.

All in all, In the Devil’s Nebula is a fun story, with enough serious moments to create an enjoyable romance and balanced tale. I found Ria and Zayn’s story exciting, passionate, and thrilling, and I found myself wrapped up in the adventure. I look forward to see what is in store for the Phoenix brothers.